Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Bath time

1. Senior Member

Bath time

Advertisements
    How do you get your dogs to not be so scared of bath time? Our dogs HATE bath time. Everytime we get the stuff out to bathe them them run and hide under the bed. We always talk sweet to them and love on the when we are bathing them and afterwards we give them treats but they are always terrified of bath time. HELP!
  2. I prayed, & God gave me my soldier in green. I thank Thee!
    I prayed, & God gave me my soldier in green. I thank Thee!
    Blog Entries
    I have everything ready before I say anything. Close the bathroom door and get everything out and on the tub. I get the shower head down and water going and then call him in and have a treat to give him.

I have to tug him into the tub and then just stay calm and sing happy songs while I'm bathing him. He just stands there, but he doesn't shake or anything.

I think it depends on how often you do it too. I wash him twice a year regularly and only if he gets super dirty any other time.

Good luck hun! I had to bathe my cat!! I'll trade ya!!
  3. Senior Member
    We do it like every week or every other week. We bathe them in the kitchen sink bc they are no more than 9 LBS. So they see everything we do. My female almost bit me tonight when I was sweet talking her out from underneath the bed.
  4. I prayed, & God gave me my soldier in green. I thank Thee!
    I prayed, & God gave me my soldier in green. I thank Thee!
    Blog Entries
    In that case I'd totally be the 'adult' and just simply have the attitude that bath time is something that WILL happen and have that firmly in your mind as you calmly call her to you while sitting on the couch and carry her to the sink and place her in.

If you are calm and in charge then she will sense that and will have to submit to your leadership.

Good luck sweety!! It might take a time or two with the new attitude, but dogs learn quick and do anything they can for their 'pack leader'.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuziGraham View Post
    In that case I'd totally be the 'adult' and just simply have the attitude that bath time is something that WILL happen and have that firmly in your mind as you calmly call her to you while sitting on the couch and carry her to the sink and place her in.

If you are calm and in charge then she will sense that and will have to submit to your leadership.

Good luck sweety!! It might take a time or two with the new attitude, but dogs learn quick and do anything they can for their 'pack leader'.
    Thanks for the advice!
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SuziGraham View Post

This is what my dad had to do with our family dog... a 100lb lab mix. He pretty much has to wrestle him into the bathtub.

My puppy doesn't seem to mind it, but I tried to get her use to it first. I put her in the empty tub a few times and gave her a treat. Then I did that but with some water in it. We just worked our way up to an actual bath.