Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: travel arrangements for the cat

1. Regular Member

travel arrangements for the cat

Advertisements
    Well that time has rolled around... I need to figure out how to get the step-cat to the new post this summer. DF (will be DH) will already be there, so should the cat fly or take a train? Cause I refuse to listen to crying (part Siamese) for the entire drive, along with whining children.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Where will you be travelling to/from? Only ask because you mention the trip will be in the summer so there may be restrictions on your options due to temperature. My personal preference would be whichever method is fastest which would be flight.
  3. Love Simply, Simply love
    Love Simply, Simply love
    What about going to the vet and seeing if they can prescribe kitty a sleep aid/sedative.
    That way he could ride and not cry the whole time.
    ...Done....
  4. I Love my IT2
    I Love my IT2
    Quote Originally Posted by elizabethb883 View Post
    What about going to the vet and seeing if they can prescribe kitty a sleep aid/sedative.
    That way he could ride and not cry the whole time.
    i was going to suggest that!
  5. Regular Member
    We're waiting on orders right now. He finishes school, gets orders, we get married, the orders get amended... etc etc. so much to do...
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Yeah, is she temperamental? I'm so blessed. I intentionally picked the lazy kitten when I went to see my cat's litter when she was a baby. I've taken her on road trips b/f since she was a kitten. She has a favorite blankie that I crocheted for her, and I put that, a couple things to chew on, and put it all in her very own small plastic travel crate, and she sleeps most of the time when I drive. Then when I stop, she has her own cat leash (can you believe they even make special ones for cats? Lol...). It's longer for her being a cat, and I let her wander at her comfort level. She tends to stay close to bushes, etc. I give her enough time, and she actually goes potty on the leash. Both poo and pee. But I started with her really young.

By any chance would the crate keep her calm if you were driving? I hate the idea of drugging an animal unless totally necessary. Kinda creeps me.
  7. Regular Member
    He's claustrophobic, agoraphobic, cries like a Siamese... We have a love hate relationship... Like I said, he's the step-cat. Prabably be easier to ship him to his dad once we get somewhere to live
  8. I prayed, & God gave me my soldier in green. I thank Thee!
    I prayed, & God gave me my soldier in green. I thank Thee!
    Blog Entries
    I'd either fly him. Faster and up that high will be cooler even in the summer.

Or I'd get sedatives for him to take so you can take him with you as you drive, and save all the money to ship him. Figure flying him is going to cost you anywhere from $200-350 depending on how far and airline.

I say just knock him out, put his cage under one of your a/c vents and drive like there's no tomorrow!
  9. Senior Member
    When we HAVE to travel with our cat we get meds from the vet. They make him high or something but he sleeps and doesn't puke in the car. We also don't make him stay in his crate. He seems happier that way. He'll usually find some comfy place under a seat or on top the luggage and nap.
  10. Senior Member
    Look into the sedatives it is not inhumane, it's actually a good thing for cat and dogs that do not travel well. Keeps them calm and makes it easier on everyone. Also put a towel over the crate to make it "den" like which also helps keep them calm. Unless your cat travels ALOT letting them outside the crate is not a great idea. They can freak and go under your pedals etc.

Shipping can be done, but you need to make sure you have a health certificate 10 days piror to shipping, that she can be shipped during certain weather conditions, someone has to be there to ship her/pick her up. It's more complicated then putting her in the car. You can also check into those animal shipping places where they drive them.