Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please give me some Tips!!!

1. Dreaming of him, till he comes home
    Dreaming of him, till he comes home
    Blog Entries

Question Please give me some Tips!!!

Advertisements
    Hey ladies sorry its been so long.

DF has had dogs all his life, so guess what! I am now a dog owner.

Lucy is a 3 month old yellow lab, and she is very cute.

But she is a puppy, I have no clue what to do and DF is in class almost all day.

I know the basics but any tips, ideas, advice, even encouragement that I can do this.

Thank you ladies.
  2. Dreaming of him, till he comes home
    Blog Entries

she pooped on the floor

thanks
  3. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Since she is not housebroken you need to take her out to go potty every 30 minutes. She needs to be in your site at all times so that if she does start to poop or pee you stop her and bring her right outside. Do you have a crate? When you cannot watch her, put her in the crate. They normally will not pee or poop where they sleep. But the key is being consistant and bringing her out often. Buy some Nature's Miracle to clean up any messes she makes so that the smell does not make her keep going potty in that spot.
  4. Senior Member
    Definitely what Caimbrie said, as well as make sure she has toys to chew on. Puppies will chew on anything. Trust me. Keep your eyes on her at all times. Be consistent with training. Treat her and tell her "good girl" when she goes outside.
    =
    HE'S HOME!
  5. Dreaming of him, till he comes home
    Blog Entries

Thank you so much!!!!!
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post
    Since she is not housebroken you need to take her out to go potty every 30 minutes. She needs to be in your site at all times so that if she does start to poop or pee you stop her and bring her right outside. Do you have a crate? When you cannot watch her, put her in the crate. They normally will not pee or poop where they sleep. But the key is being consistant and bringing her out often. Buy some Nature's Miracle to clean up any messes she makes so that the smell does not make her keep going potty in that spot.

Agree Agree...and also 3 long walks per day at least...

After each meal of course and as soon as she wakes up

and maybe a dog park so she can run around..make sure she has all of her shots b4 you take her to a dog park
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Do you have a petsmart type store near by? At the petsmart here they offer potty training classes every saturday for $15. Lab's have tons of energy (as I am sure you know) so exercise will be useful to keep her from acting out of bordom and chewing.

We took our lab to a basic obedience class and he did really well. He loved the socialization aspect and learned so fast.

Some places will offer puppy classes too, where it is basic training and socializtion. Simialr to a basic obedience class, but strictly offered for little pups like yours.

I live with 3 labs right now, if you have questions PM me!
    Leah
    I also just got a pup a little while ago, he is a lab doberman schnauzer mix. I am learning as well as you probably are. With any messes they make in the house make sure you catch it immediately, and yell stop or no or something to get their attention then quickly take them outside. We are using treats as well to help train our pup. The trick with that is you need to give them a treat immediately after they do something good. Think 5 seconds, otherwise the dog has no idea what they are getting the treat for. So when you take her outside have a treat in hand and when she does her business give it to her and praise her.
    I have noticed our dog likes to chew things and I guess lots of labs do too, so something we noticed is he liked to chew on the doorframe, so we put some cayenne pepper on it. He stopped chewing on it almost immediately. Have lots of chew toys around and when they try to chew something they arent supposed to give them ther toy, they dont wan to be destructive they just want to chew.
    As some other people said have the dog in your sight at all times, they can get into a lot of stuff in a relatively short period of time. Also with punishment it needs to happen immediately after they do something otherwise they dont understand what they did wrong, again think 5 seconds or less.
    We go to petsmart and they have a puppy class you can take. Another thing about petsmart that is really nice is they have this program for the vet, thy do all the shots and spaying or neutering and all the visits are free. Its called something like a wellness plan, if you dont have a vet already I would look into this, its super convenient for us. Hope this helps!
    Good luck!
    "I love you and im glad your willing to stick by me through all this crap, and u put
    up with me and your gorgeous and u clean and u can cook."- DB

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  9. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    Make sure you start training her early! Labs are naturally hyper, if they aren't trained well they can end up being "annoying". I had a lab and it was well trained and he turned out amazing, best dog I ever had. DH's mom had a lab and she knew nothing! They ended up getting rid of her because of it

10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i ditto what everyone's said... but mostly: be patient! things aren't going to happen over night. you can do everything right, and well sometimes... your pup just isn't feeling it. our beagle puppy learned all of her tricks in a day, but it's taken several months for her to catch on to potty training.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast