Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: FIP?

1. Regular Member

Thumb Down FIP?

Advertisements
    Anyone have a cat die from this?

I had to put our 4 month old kitten to sleep yesterday because she had the wet version of FIP and was suffering. She was a Christmas gift for my daughter and I'm so sad about it. I wish I had paid more attention to her before I bought her. I just thought she was cute and bought her. That was a waste of around $500 after everything was said and done.

My daughter misses her kitten and I want to get her a replacement but I want to make sure the virus is completely out of my house. I don't want another cat getting sick from the previous one. Ugh. I'm thinking about getting an older one like 6 months to a year old.

Anyone have any kitten/cat buying advice?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    what is FIP?

and honestly why buy a kitten when there are soooo many at the pound that are free i've never payed for any of my cats.

ETA: im soooo sorry about your kitten that is so sad and heartbreaking
  3. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by settles View Post
    what is FIP?

and honestly why buy a kitten when there are soooo many at the pound that are free i've never payed for any of my cats.

ETA: im soooo sorry about your kitten that is so sad and heartbreaking
    Feline Infectious Peritonitis is a viral disease of cats caused by certain strains of a virus called the feline coronavirus.
    And you're right, next time I get a cat it will be from the shelter. I guess I figured the more expensive ones were better taken care of. Lesson learned.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by sosojenn View Post
    Feline Infectious Peritonitis is a viral disease of cats caused by certain strains of a virus called the feline coronavirus.
    And you're right, next time I get a cat it will be from the shelter. I guess I figured the more expensive ones were better taken care of. Lesson learned.
    wow ive never heard of that, soo sad.

more $$ doesn't always mean better, sometimes thats the case but not always. usually when getting them from the pound they are up to date on all of their shots and they usually will pay for your cat to get fixed.

also if you dont want to go to the pound call around to local vets offices', my friend use to work at one and they always had ppl just leave cats on the door steps and they would give them away for free.

im so sorry you and your daugther had to go through that and good luck with your next kitty!
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    You should be able to ask your vet what needs to be done to make sure your home is no longer carrying the virus or if its even air born like that. My puppy had Parvo and we had to bleach where ever he went to the bathroom and wash anything he was on for a long period of time, Parvo lives in fecal matter and vomit but not urine. I would give them a call and ask for a run down. Also ask when you can get another cat.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Have you contacted the breeder? They need to be made aware of the situation so they can take proper action in their cattery and, depending on the contract/breeder, may offer a replacement kitten (if you want to chance another from them, that is). Honestly, even with the best management, things can happen and illness can develop in a cattery, if they do offer a replacement kitten insist on a stipulation for a healthcheck (btw, did you have the first kitty health checked) within 48 hours of taking possession of the kitty.
    Also, while I definitely support adoption from shelters I just wanted to point out that very few shelters have any "free" kittens - the "free" kittens/cats are usually what you will find in the paper via accidental litters - most shelters have adoption fees that will run anywhere from $25 to over $100 for a cat/kitten.