Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cats scratching furniture

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Question Cats scratching furniture

Advertisements
    My cat doesn't use those scratch posts or the cardboard scratcher, but instead, uses my new couch. Is there anything I can do to keep him from ruining it!! I trim his claws already.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    My mom has a spray bottle full of water and she sprays her cats when they get close to the furniture. She keeps two bottles...one for her and one by the furniture.

Now the cats see the bottle and don't even try it.

Good Luck!
  3. aka Mrs Gibberish
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinagirll View Post
    My mom has a spray bottle full of water and she sprays her cats when they get close to the furniture. She keeps two bottles...one for her and one by the furniture.

Now the cats see the bottle and don't even try it.

Good Luck!
    My cat used to scratch the furniture when she was little. I'd spray her with water and say "No!" Now when she even see's the spray bottle she runs away or stops what she's doing. If she's on the table she's not supposed to be on I just turn the spray bottle in her direction and she jumps right off. Also when she scratches her post she gets a treat for doing it and I always tell her "good girl Fuzzles" when she does it.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Put double sided tape on the corneres of your couch It will deter your cat and entertain you. That's what I used to do with my cat. I also used the squirt bottle method on my cat for other things.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Double sided tape, balloons, aluminum foil -- there are lots of ways to deter scratching. The advantage of putting something ON the couch over a squirt bottle or rattle can is that it works even when you are not in the room. The squirth bottle/rattle can is great but you can't be 100% consistent because kitty can scratch when you aren't right there to stop him/her and then that sets back the whole learning process because they get away with it part of the time.
  6. Senior Member
    I let them scratch the computer chair. It's cheap, not mine, and doesn't bother me... they use their posts though.

I just caught the white one scratching the couch... and I've had the furniture for 3ish months and this is the first time. But the material that the couch is made out of is not comfortable to them scratching at it.
  7. Senior Member
    We put soft paws on our cat from the time he was really little. He couldn't scratch anything. We've stopped using them and he doesn't scratch anything.
  8. Del
    solve problems with a little time and lots of vodka
    solve problems with a little time and lots of vodka
    I'm gonna go with SoftPaws for this one. They're awesome. Not even that hard to get on usually (I had a glue issue last night, but it's all cool now).
  9. Senior Member
    on the spray bottle and on the softpaws. Double sided tape also works well!

10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Louis would have kicked out the cat rather than looking for solutions! I don't know
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast