Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Options for aggressive dog?

1. Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Blog Entries

Options for aggressive dog?

Advertisements
    My Bich-poo is 2 years old. When I first got her and for her first 9 months, she was great! We lived in my apartment and I could take her to the dog beach or dog park. She got along with everyone and everything.

After I left my ex, I wanted to move away from him so he couldn't find me. I ended up moving about 3 times. I moved my puppy to my mom's house until I got settled and felt comfortable with my safety enough to make my house a home.

By this time, my puppy was becoming really agressive towards "strangers" and other dogs. We think that my parents' English Pointer/Border Collie may have taught(?) her bad behavior. She's aggressive as well but not towards people. Just towards the other dogs (my puppy and our Aussie) and in a territorial way.

My puppy now nips at people and barks constantly when people that are not my mom, dad, sister or me. I don't know what I can do. I don't want to take her to a group obedience class because I don't want to risk her aggression harming another dog or person. She's mostly just unpleasant to be around now.

Another thing is that I am going to Italy in April and my mom wants me to leave my puppy with her so that we are not relocating her. Mostly, she's afraid of my puppy enduring the flight. She's too big for the cabin so she'd have to ride in the cargo area.

Any suggestions on helping her with her aggression and social skills? I don't want her to become a real threat to anyone or anything.
  2. Always n Forever
    Always n Forever
    You will have to start from the begining. Start taking her for walks and slowely reintroducing her to people, places and things! My 2 Goldens teach each other crap all the time We got Abby about 4 months ago and she has taught Drako how to eat socks and jump up when he wants attention (he freakin knows better) and Drako has taught abby how to escape the yard and how to open up the garbage cans.
  3. Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Blog Entries
    My puppy also learned how to dig holes in the yard from the dog shel ived with at my last apartment.

I just miss my fluffy, sweet, adorable puppy. I'm wanting to do anything I can afford to help her because I know its not her fault at all.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    My dog was like that...

No retractable leash..specially if she lunges..4 ft leash...She needs to know her boundaries.

I hired a private dog trainer...

We learned the commands "look"..where she would give me full eye to eye contact...

I could then use this command when she would freak out on the leash and it would calm her down..keep walking tho don't stop..Lots of people stop and that makes the dog freak even more. When we started this command I used treats..Now I don't have to use anything.

So now when she is with me...and she gets tense about another dog walking by I put myself between her and the other dog and ask her to look at me not the other dog as we walk by....

Also I took her out a lot..to desensitized her.

and last lots of walks / runs is KEY. More energy my dog has the worse she would be.

Hope this helps
  5. Senior Member
    Get her to associate strangers with something positive, like treats. Everytime someone comes in give her a treat and say good girl.
    That's what I've heard works.
    =
    HE'S HOME!
  6. Love Simply, Simply love
    Love Simply, Simply love
    I dunno, we ended up having to get one of the metal collars for our dog, (they are similar to a choke collar) that worked pretty well, but I don't know if you could get them in a small size?
    ...Done....
  7. Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Blog Entries
    I try the "look" thing when she starts barking at people that come in the house. The biggest problem (and I truly know and believe this) is that I'm not there enough to be persistent with her. Its unfair to her and my focus on her behavior but hopefully she'll be able to join us in Italy.

I'm going to keep doing the look thing and I'm going to also take her out for more walks. I don't do that often enough and we used to go out more than once every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleysquared View Post
    Get her to associate strangers with something positive, like treats. Everytime someone comes in give her a treat and say good girl.
    That's what I've heard works.
    That's a great idea. Maybe have the stranger give her the treat? I don't know. We'll see. I'll try both.
  8. Love Simply, Simply love
    Love Simply, Simply love
    the other thing they had on "its me or the dog" ( I love that show) she used compressed air and shot it down beside the dog, or a horn- just enough to distract them.
    ...Done....
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Yep you have to be very persistent.

My dog is great now...I still don't like to introduce her to dogs on the leash bc you never know.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by my.hero's.mrs View Post
    I try the "look" thing when she starts barking at people that come in the house. The biggest problem (and I truly know and believe this) is that I'm not there enough to be persistent with her. Its unfair to her and my focus on her behavior but hopefully she'll be able to join us in Italy.

I'm going to keep doing the look thing and I'm going to also take her out for more walks. I don't do that often enough and we used to go out more than once every day.

That's a great idea. Maybe have the stranger give her the treat? I don't know. We'll see. I'll try both.
  10. I prayed, & God gave me my soldier in green. I thank Thee!
    I prayed, & God gave me my soldier in green. I thank Thee!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by my.hero's.mrs View Post
    My Bich-poo is 2 years old. When I first got her and for her first 9 months, she was great! We lived in my apartment and I could take her to the dog beach or dog park. She got along with everyone and everything.

After I left my ex, I wanted to move away from him so he couldn't find me. I ended up moving about 3 times. I moved my puppy to my mom's house until I got settled and felt comfortable with my safety enough to make my house a home.

By this time, my puppy was becoming really agressive towards "strangers" and other dogs. We think that my parents' English Pointer/Border Collie may have taught(?) her bad behavior. She's aggressive as well but not towards people. Just towards the other dogs (my puppy and our Aussie) and in a territorial way.

My puppy now nips at people and barks constantly when people that are not my mom, dad, sister or me. I don't know what I can do. I don't want to take her to a group obedience class because I don't want to risk her aggression harming another dog or person. She's mostly just unpleasant to be around now.

Another thing is that I am going to Italy in April and my mom wants me to leave my puppy with her so that we are not relocating her. Mostly, she's afraid of my puppy enduring the flight. She's too big for the cabin so she'd have to ride in the cargo area.

Any suggestions on helping her with her aggression and social skills? I don't want her to become a real threat to anyone or anything.

I use Ceaser's methods. They are the GREATEST!!
    http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/tips/issues_barking.php

I took my dog to the park with my kids and a FLOCK of kids surrounded him. He knew many since they were my children's friends, but he growled and nipped at one little boy. I was SHOCKED! So, I had to reintroduce him several times to a couple of children at a time before I felt comfortable reintroducing him to the park with lots of kids.

It's an EVERY day training. You have to do the walks, the training, and the consistant obediance you want from your dog EVERY day.

Lack of exercise is one of the greatest causes of a dog being distructive.

Good luck hun.

I had put I used ONLY Ceaser's method, but I watch Victoria on "it's me or the dog" and use several of her techniques.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast