Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: German Shepherd Owners/Experts

1. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥

German Shepherd Owners/Experts

Advertisements
    Did you have to tape your German Sshepherd's ears when they were young in order for their ears to stand properly, or did they stand on their own?

I'm reading some info on them now and I came across the ear taping process and I'm curious to see how many owners actually needed to do this.

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    NO! they are a breed whose ears are controled by their baby teeth. As they get their adult teeth they stand up.

I dont even think I know show people who have done that.
    Are you scrappy enough for me
  3. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennygirl View Post
    NO! they are a breed whose ears are controled by their baby teeth. As they get their adult teeth they stand up.

I dont even think I know show people who have done that.
    I read that actually. That when they are teething it is natural for their ears to be floppy since the calcium used to stand their ears up is focused more on their teeth. So after teething, do the ears just stand naturally? I was on a website saying if they dont stand naturally after 4 months, that's when owners need to start taping them.

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by CarLooSHoo View Post
    I read that actually. That when they are teething it is natural for their ears to be floppy since the calcium used to stand their ears up is focused more on their teeth. So after teething, do the ears just stand naturally? I was on a website saying if they dont stand naturally after 4 months, that's when owners need to start taping them.
    I wouldnt go by the 4 month thing if you want to tape...It really does bother a dog to do that. And yes as they teeth, if their ears are ment to stand they will!

for the most part all of their ears stand up...you just need to know what the parents were like if their ears were up there is a good chance you will have a pup that has them too.
    Are you scrappy enough for me
  5. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennygirl View Post
    I wouldnt go by the 4 month thing if you want to tape...It really does bother a dog to do that. And yes as they teeth, if their ears are ment to stand they will!

for the most part all of their ears stand up...you just need to know what the parents were like if their ears were up there is a good chance you will have a pup that has them too.
    Thank you for the info.

6. The grass is greener where it gets watered.
    The grass is greener where it gets watered.
    You can give your dog glucosamine supplements to help with the cartilage. I wish I had known that when I got my first shepherd. I had a shepherd that ended up having floppy ears because he had some health problems as a puppy. He was still just as wonderful, but had some big old floppy ears.

We tried taping them, that's what a conformation breeder had suggested, but even that didn't work.

Also, try to play outside with your pup as much as you can. The various exercise and attractions will allow him/her to use those ear muscles. If your puppy is relaxed all the time (like mine was, due to him being sick he slept all the time) it won't strengthen the ear muscles as they are developing.

I'll look around to find the info for ya.
    “In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!” ― Dr. Seuss
  7. The grass is greener where it gets watered.
    http://www.glucosamine-osteoarthriti...-for-dogs.html

What Glucosamine Product is Best to Use for My Dog?

When your pet's pain relief and health is at stake, you need to be careful about the competing products and the marketing hype. There are six factors that you need to take into account before purchasing any Glucosamine product for your dog. These are:

* Type of Glucosamine (sulfate, HCL, or 2KCL)
    * Quality of the ingredients (superior quality, produced in a GMP certified facility)
    * Method of delivery (liquid or pills?)
    * Amount of Glucosamine needed per day
    * The additional ingredients besides glucosamine
    * Daily Cost

The amount of glucosamine you will want to give your animal will depend on the condition your dog is in. It’s important to compare price per day and not price per product, as many companies try to fool you by providing 60 capsules or 32 oz. without telling you that you must use 6 capsules or 2 oz. per day. Hence be careful to always compare price per day! A good rule of thumb is to look for 750mg of Glucosamine HCl and Glucosamine Sulfate per 50 pounds of weight. Glucosamine 2KCL is a lower quality, less potent form of Glucosamine which generally is found in grocery stores or major low cost discount stores. Stay away from the 2KCL and NaCl forms of Glucosamine as they are a flat out rip off.

Keep in mind the benefits of a liquid Glucosamine. Many dogs are reluctant to having pills thrown down their throat. If the pill is mixed with the food, it could be chewed and lost in the teeth. A liquid form on the other hand, can be poured directly over the food for a guaranteed acceptance by the dog. Glucosamine has a pleasant taste for most all dogs. Most simply think it's a treat.

**Many vets recommend doubling the dosage of Glucosamine for dogs the first 2-3 weeks to engage a more rapid healing process. This is fine and may be very beneficial.**

Glucosamine in the right form and quality, combined with other synergistic ingredients, not only eases your pet's pain quickly, but promotes maximum joint health for your animal. Past research on animals has shown administered as appropriate ingredient mix, Glucosamine will ease your pet's joint pain in about ten to fifteen days. In severe cases, it may take as long as thirty days, but remember, this is without the dangerous side effects of NSAIDs and COX-II inhibitors and will be lasting relief. Don't let your animal take harmful drugs any longer. Try glucosamine for your animal today.
    Shepherds are prone to hip and back problems, I highly recommend a glucosamine supplement to be proactive.
    “In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!” ― Dr. Seuss
  8. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    You can give your dog glucosamine supplements to help with the cartilage. I wish I had known that when I got my first shepherd. I had a shepherd that ended up having floppy ears because he had some health problems as a puppy. He was still just as wonderful, but had some big old floppy ears.

We tried taping them, that's what a conformation breeder had suggested, but even that didn't work.

Also, try to play outside with your pup as much as you can. The various exercise and attractions will allow him/her to use those ear muscles. If your puppy is relaxed all the time (like mine was, due to him being sick he slept all the time) it'll never strengthen the ear muscles.

I'll look around to find the info for ya.
    Thanks for all your info, and the glucosamine info.

The outside tip is a great idea! I read when the puppy is still maturing, to make weird noises around the house so he/she will use their ear muscles more, but going outside seems to make more sense . I'm a dog walker anyway, I'd hate to be a dog and be confined to the house all day!

9. The grass is greener where it gets watered.
    Quote Originally Posted by CarLooSHoo View Post
    Thanks for all your info, and the glucosamine info.

The outside tip is a great idea! I read when the puppy is still maturing, to make weird noises around the house so he/she will use their ear muscles more, but going outside seems to make more sense . I'm a dog walker anyway, I'd hate to be a dog and be confined to the house all day!
    If you need any help, I'm here in Germany as well and if you want my phone number I'd be more than happy to help you out whenever you need it.
  10. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    If you need any help, I'm here in Germany as well and if you want my phone number I'd be more than happy to help you out whenever you need it.
    I didn't know you were in Germany too! Where are you stationed?

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast