Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Traveling with a pet

1. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥

Traveling with a pet

Advertisements
    When you travel with your pet via plane, how does it work?

Is there a special place you need to go to in the airport to drop your pet off at? Also, when you buy your ticket, do you buy a ticket for your pet as well?

Or do you pay with your ticket, or once you arrive at the airport? And how much roughly is it would you say?

I know I'll be traveling with a German Shepherd in July of 2010, but before I actually get the dog I'm doing as much research as I can. Anyone that can help is much appreciated!!!

2. Senior Member
    We have had to drop our dogs off to a seperate location. You have to book them on the flight ahead of time, as they are only allowed so many animals per flight, or so I have heard. Depending on which airline you are flying it could be very expensive. We have found continental to be the cheapest. The weight range our dog flies in is the 40-75 range (or something like that) and it is just under $300 for her ticket. I have heard of some people paying an extra $100 on top of their tickets though to have their pet travel as an extra piece of baggage on their flight.
    Needs work.
  3. Senior Member
    I'm guessing it depends on whether or not you book the flight yourself or if a travel agent (someone on base) does it. Our tickets were booked for us, we just told them we had two cats (you have to reserve the spots in advance because they only allow a certain number of animals per flight). So they gave us our flight info and said we would pay for the cats' tickets at the airport when we checked in. With cats, since they're small, we just took them with us. I don't really know how it works for large dogs. For ours it was about $150 but I'm sure it's more for the extra weight.
  4. Senior Member
    We paid for our dogs flights at the airport too. But we had to call to arrange their transport.

But we were not flying. The dogs flew on their own, so it wasn't like we could just book them with us.
    Needs work.
  5. He's my sunshine
    He's my sunshine
    this is what happened....

when we went home on leave i booked our flights through Alaska Airlines. So I got the tickets for Art and I and then called up the airlines and told them I was travelling with a pet. Because Daisy is small enough to fit into a bag that fits under the seat she was a carry-on and we paid $200 for her ticket (both ways) But since Meesha will be enormous, she will have to be a checked baggage. I think you would do it like you would with any other checked baggage you have. They are put under the plane with all the rest of the baggage and there is a form to fill out. Also make sure you get a health certificate (ask the vet for one) before you travel.

hope thats helps
    Wifey to Carlooshoo & annary

6. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheska View Post
    this is what happened....

when we went home on leave i booked our flights through Alaska Airlines. So I got the tickets for Art and I and then called up the airlines and told them I was travelling with a pet. Because Daisy is small enough to fit into a bag that fits under the seat she was a carry-on and we paid $200 for her ticket (both ways) But since Meesha will be enormous, she will have to be a checked baggage. I think you would do it like you would with any other checked baggage you have. They are put under the plane with all the rest of the baggage and there is a form to fill out. Also make sure you get a health certificate (ask the vet for one) before you travel.

hope thats helps
    yes she will be enormous by the time we fly with her. Thanks Franny

7. He's my sunshine
    He's my sunshine
    welcome Carla
    Wifey to Carlooshoo & annary

8. Junior Member
    Some airlines also have breed restrictions. But you can't fly them free or cheap unless they are small, and you can possibly take them on as carryons.