Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where are my vet techs/animal people?

1. every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite
    every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite

Confused Where are my vet techs/animal people?

Advertisements
    I am a little worried about my oldest. She is my princess. She's a border collie retriever mix. Her name is Bella. Here is a little background on her. We lived in an apartment until april then we moved to TX. We have a house w/ a huge fenced in yard. So she went from getting some exercise when we lived in the apartment to getting a ton at the house. Well she has gone from 47lbs down to 35lbs. She looks really scrawny to me. She eats Blue Buffalo food which is a very good hollistic brand that is made out of real meat and veggies. I feed her 2 cups a day which is what is recommended for her weight. She is also losing hair. I just recently had her to the vet for her annual vaccines and the vet said she was allergic to fleas. I was used to the fleas being dead by this time in OH and didn't even think about the fact that it never gets cold enough in South Texas to kill them. So as soon as we left the office I ordered her a 3 months supply of Frontline Plus. Her hair is dull and thinning especially on her back. It's not soft like it usually is and it's wiry.

She has had some immune problems. She had a pretty bad case of demodex. It took a few vets before they diagnosed her correctly and were able to treat it effectively.

I am just worried about her. What can I do to make her gain weight. Should I try increasing her food? The trainer at Petsmart suggested giving her an extra 1/4 cup cuz that is the top end of the recommended amount for her weight. Is it best to feed her the extra in the morning or at night? Are there any other things I can do? Would you recommed taking her to the vet or should I try this first????

Thank you ladies!!!
    We need a miracle!

gofund.me/hcjj54

2. Proud Navy Sister and Military Legacy
    Proud Navy Sister and Military Legacy
    send a pm to Crystal520 she might be able to help you!
    Me: "A tired blonde equals a not very bright blonde lol"
    Him: "True story "
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I would get her T4 (thyroid) checked. Does she eat, drink, and potty the same?
    Are you scrappy enough for me
  4. every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite
    every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite
    Yeah she eats the same, drinks normally, and I haven't noticed any diarrhea. She is also just as active and playful as she has always been.
    We need a miracle!

gofund.me/hcjj54

5. In my own little crazy world . . it's ok, they know me here.
    In my own little crazy world . . it's ok, they know me here.
    Quote Originally Posted by LukesLilTrooper View Post
    I am a little worried about my oldest. She is my princess. She's a border collie retriever mix. Her name is Bella. Here is a little background on her. We lived in an apartment until april then we moved to TX. We have a house w/ a huge fenced in yard. So she went from getting some exercise when we lived in the apartment to getting a ton at the house. Well she has gone from 47lbs down to 35lbs. She looks really scrawny to me. She eats Blue Buffalo food which is a very good hollistic brand that is made out of real meat and veggies. I feed her 2 cups a day which is what is recommended for her weight. She is also losing hair. I just recently had her to the vet for her annual vaccines and the vet said she was allergic to fleas. I was used to the fleas being dead by this time in OH and didn't even think about the fact that it never gets cold enough in South Texas to kill them. So as soon as we left the office I ordered her a 3 months supply of Frontline Plus. Her hair is dull and thinning especially on her back. It's not soft like it usually is and it's wiry.

She has had some immune problems. She had a pretty bad case of demodex. It took a few vets before they diagnosed her correctly and were able to treat it effectively.

I am just worried about her. What can I do to make her gain weight. Should I try increasing her food? The trainer at Petsmart suggested giving her an extra 1/4 cup cuz that is the top end of the recommended amount for her weight. Is it best to feed her the extra in the morning or at night? Are there any other things I can do? Would you recommed taking her to the vet or should I try this first????

Thank you ladies!!!

I'm not a vet tech, but I'm a dog person. I would suggest giving her a little more food, but also taking her to the vet just to rule out any other reason for the weight loss.
    As for her coat, I give my dogs sardines (in water) and the fish oil does wonders for their coats.
    Sorry I can't be more help.
  6. A Pretty Poison Flower...bringing you the sweetest juice.
    A Pretty Poison Flower...bringing you the sweetest juice.
    Me: Norfolk Him: Norfolk now, Afghanistan soon.
    Blog Entries
    Is she bony or just thin? If she's just thin where you can just feel ribs and she has a good tuck from her chest to her stomach and has an hourglass figure when seen from above without having her hips or spine poking out then I'd say she's almost perfectly weighted. Give the Frontline a little time to work and talk to your vet about an antihistamine and possibly some antibiotics for a secondary skin infection. For a dog her size, though, 2 cups should be more than enough food in a day. I agree you should probably get her thyroid checked as well since thyroid problems can also be an underlying cause of some skin issues.

Good luck!
    Wifey to nstarsweetie and missmaaaine, pog to miraluu, and TayreehBaykur is my Mistress! Mrow! !
  7. I've got it lucky but I still miss him
    I've got it lucky but I still miss him
    Annapolis, MD but I get to go to Qatar in 4/2009
    I second the thyroid test....she really has all the symptoms
  8. Senior Member
    Have the vet run a T4 to check her thyroid. You can increase her food some and do it at both meals so that she does not bloat at one with the increased food amount. The hair loss could be due to the fleas, if she has an allergy and the skin became infected the hair will grow back differently in areas and be "wirey" like, especially with the mange she has going on. She needs to be on a supplement and I would suggest some vita caps or similar but with her issues, seriously discuss any diet enhancements with your vet.

If she has fleas, pick up some Capstar and give it to her, it will kill all the fleas in 30 minutes then apply the Frontline.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I don't have any advice but I sure hope sweet Bella is ok, Christina!
    Follow me on Instagram, if you'd like.

https://instagram.com/mrotsarbed
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Definitely have her examined by a Vet. If she has something wrong with her it is best to get a diagnosis and start treating her before she gets worse.
    Blood panel (Thyroid etc) would be a really good idea. Also, anytime a dog lives in an area where they may be able to get a hold of mice, etc you need to have them screened yearly for parasites. The nutritional loss caused by some parasites can show up in the symptoms that you listed.

One of the posters mentioned sardines- great for skin and hair. YUCK to handle. I give my dogs Derma Caps liquid. It is basically fish oil that has been made highly absorbable (and it doesn't stink to high heaven). You can get it from your Vet's office. It makes a world of difference for my dogs, esp in the winter when it is so dry.

Good luck with her! I Borders.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast