Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bathing time for the kitty

1. I prayed, & God gave me my soldier in green. I thank Thee!
    I prayed, & God gave me my soldier in green. I thank Thee!
    Blog Entries

Bathing time for the kitty

Advertisements
    Well I have NEVER bathed my son's cat. She is a declawed, fixed cat. Lately though her fur is...well don't know how to describe it. It's not matted, but maybe oily?? Not sure.

So I bought a brush and she LOVES to be brushed, but it didn't help.

Next step..bath!!

I'm looking for ALL the advice I can get to do this. I have NEVER washed her. She's NEVER been in water since we got her at 8 weeks.

So all you cat owners, any info...I'd be MOST appreciative of it!
  2. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    i only did it when charlie was a baby and i had to give him a flea bath. they will flare their legs. you just have to hold him down. you may need help with an adult cat
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Body armor. Steel Mesh Gloves. Eye protection.
    A place to stay for the next few days while he trashes your apartment.

Good luck!!!!
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  4. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Quote Originally Posted by guynavywife View Post
    Body armor. Steel Mesh Gloves. Eye protection.
    A place to stay for the next few days while he trashes your apartment.

Good luck!!!!
    that's my thought. cats hate water

5. Formerly known as coloradokitkat
    Formerly known as coloradokitkat
    1) CLOSE THE DOOR. You do not want a wet, pissed off kitty running rampid all throughout your house

2) Fill the tub with 2-3 inches of warm water BEFORE you take kitty in the bathroom. Otherwise the sound of the water gushing will freak your kitty out...and we don't want to do that until we absolutely HAVE to. Also, put a towel on the counter to have ready for when you're done with the bath.

3) Put kitty in the water. She will flail about and try to jump out. Keep a firm hold on her, don't let her jump out.

4) Take your other hand (or some type of container) and pour water over her. Try not to pour water over her face if you can help it. Take your shampoo or what ever you are using to clean her with and rub it on her fur. I suggest having the shampoo open and ready to use right next to you before you put her in the tub. She's declawed so you shouldn't have a problem.

5) Rinse her off using your other hand (or your container), again avoiding her face.

6) Wrap her in a towel and rub her (like you're petting her) until she starts purring. If you don't want to do that, put her in a towel, dry her off as much as you can and then let her rip. There's nothing you can do to stop her from "cleaning" herself after the bath, so don't try. Just make sure you've washed all of the soap/shampoo out of her fur before you let her go.

You're done!

Now that wasn't so hard, was it?

6. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by coloradokitkat View Post
    1) CLOSE THE DOOR. You do not want a wet, pissed off kitty running rampid all throughout your house

2) Fill the tub with 2-3 inches of warm water BEFORE you take kitty in the bathroom. Otherwise the sound of the water gushing will freak your kitty out...and we don't want to do that until we absolutely HAVE to. Also, put a towel on the counter to have ready for when you're done with the bath.

3) Put kitty in the water. She will flail about and try to jump out. Keep a firm hold on her, don't let her jump out.

4) Take your other hand (or some type of container) and pour water over her. Try not to pour water over her face if you can help it. Take your shampoo or what ever you are using to clean her with and rub it on her fur. I suggest having the shampoo open and ready to use right next to you before you put her in the tub. She's declawed so you shouldn't have a problem.

5) Rinse her off using your other hand (or your container), again avoiding her face.

6) Wrap her in a towel and rub her (like you're petting her) until she starts purring. If you don't want to do that, put her in a towel, dry her off as much as you can and then let her rip. There's nothing you can do to stop her from "cleaning" herself after the bath, so don't try. Just make sure you've washed all of the soap/shampoo out of her fur before you let her go.

You're done!

Now that wasn't so hard, was it?

LOL you said everything I was going to say! I bathe all three of mine every month just the way it was described above!!

I do use johnsons baby shampoo because it is the safest I can find.
  7. Formerly known as coloradokitkat
    Formerly known as coloradokitkat
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    LOL you said everything I was going to say! I bathe all three of mine every month just the way it was described above!!

OH I use kitty shampoo that i bought from the commissary. It actualls smells really good

OP, if you dont want to bathe your kitty in the bath tub, you can always bathe her in the sink. I know it really hurts my back to bath both my kitties in the bath tub cuz they can be little hellians. So you can try bathing her in the sink with a sponge, I've done that before. Just be prepared for her to BOLT at any given moment (even OVER you)
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    he's declawed so it shouldn't be bad, i gave my cat a few baths when she was younger and it wasn't too bad.

just use one hand to hold him and the other to put on and was off the shampoo once your done put a towel around him and love on him. dont try to use a blowdryer cause that will just piss him off. he will shake and lick himself once your done so just give him some time and he will be friendly again
  9. I prayed, & God gave me my soldier in green. I thank Thee!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post

I have puppy shampoo...do you think that is ok? I do have baby bath wash if that would be better.

UGH!! I DREAD this!! hehe
  10. I prayed, & God gave me my soldier in green. I thank Thee!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by coloradokitkat View Post
    OH I use kitty shampoo that i bought from the commissary. It actualls smells really good

OP, if you dont want to bathe your kitty in the bath tub, you can always bathe her in the sink. I know it really hurts my back to bath both my kitties in the bath tub cuz they can be little hellians. So you can try bathing her in the sink with a sponge, I've done that before. Just be prepared for her to BOLT at any given moment (even OVER you)
    I have a removable shower head so I can just hose her off with that.

I thought perhaps just having it running when I bring her in and just hosing her off as quick as I could would be best.

She doesn't care to be held, rarely does she get in your lap. She will lay beside you, but hardly EVER on you. So picking her up...will be interesting. hehe

Thanks again dears!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast