Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: answer my moms question please :D

1. Senior Member

answer my moms question please :D

Advertisements
    hey all , my mom is looking into getting a dog for the kids .

she knows she will have to help take care of it until they are older( ex feedings, clean up, washing etc) but she wants a dog to grow with them...

she doesnt want to get a dog that will grow to large since the kids are still so small ...( like a german sheprad,dobermen,pitbulls,labs etc because hte puppy stage hyperness and training them not to jump & not knowing their own strentgh and weight and things ....)

(my guesses are )

Rileys is anywhere from 25-35 pounds .....
    Maya is about 40-45...
    maria is 35-40 .....

they are four years old and the girls are close to or over 3 and half feet tall RI is closer to 3

I've heard basset hounds and beagles are good dogs with kids , and they aren't to big or small ....i know my mom wants to stay away from small dogs ( exampls toy poodles pugs chiwawas etc) so all you pet owners whats your ideas ?
    Due March 19 2009 born at 31w6d,54 day NICU stay(home march 11th w/o anything),4 days on vent,40ish days on O2 after that
    Due March 11 2012 born at 35w 1 d, 11 day NICU stay(home Feb 17 with O2 ),27 days on Oxygen
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    my aunt and uncle have beagles.. they ROCK.
  3. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

I grew up with Cocker Spaniels (mainly English Cockers) and loved them. I think they are great family pets

4. Senior Member
    Beagles are awesome, so are Bassett Hounds.........tell her to go to the Humane Society, b/c "mutts" are sometimes much calmer and such than purebreds with less health problems........not to mention less $$$
  5. was with your mom last night.
    was with your mom last night.
    Blog Entries
    well i am a fan of large breeds, and they are GREAT with children, especially infants - they recently did a discovery channel thing on Newfoundlands and they won for best family dog. but they can be very large.

i suggest rescuing a dog/going to the pound

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. (Benjamin Franklin)
    Quote Originally Posted by helloimkaley View Post
    Lauren wins the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by candypants View Post
    Hey guys. Oh, big gulps, huh? Welp, see ya later.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Meggie View Post
    Beagles are awesome, so are Bassett Hounds.........tell her to go to the Humane Society, b/c "mutts" are sometimes much calmer and such than purebreds with less health problems........not to mention less $$$

with the bold The 4 dogs I live with now, 2 mine, 2 my moms. 3 are from shelters and they are great.

Personally when I had a beagle I hated it, he ate everything (including his own poo) and smelled awful. It may have just been that dog, but I won't ever get one again.

I currently live with 3 labs and a corgi. Corgi's are smallish dogs. I love mine, but sometimes she can get yappy, she barks to get noticed because all the big dogs get more attention.

As for my labs they are incredible with DS. He is 18 months and they do knock him down, because they are oblivious when playing, but aside from that they are perfect family dogs. They let my son play with them, they will take treats nicely form him, they let him hug and kiss them. Two of the labs are my moms and they are great with DS too. Honestly if we ever get dogs again(after these ones go to doggy heaven) the only thing I will get are labs.
  7. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    any dog can be good around children. i would honestly suggest getting an adult dog that came from a family home. If your mom is doing the primary rearing of the puppy it may wind up not liking children.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

8. Senior Member
    she will have the kids help feed brush etc but she also knows that she will have to help them with the dog ...like making sure they dont give to much food , that they brush it right etc .....

i think she is going to go with a pound but even the pounds list dogs for example a "lab mix" or something along those lines ....

so i guess im asking what breeds normally do well???

i know any breed can depending how it was raised etc , i dont think she is woried about it purposfully hurting the kids more like too rough play hurting them or knocking them down etc ( the girls areeasy to make cry lol )
    Due March 19 2009 born at 31w6d,54 day NICU stay(home march 11th w/o anything),4 days on vent,40ish days on O2 after that
    Due March 11 2012 born at 35w 1 d, 11 day NICU stay(home Feb 17 with O2 ),27 days on Oxygen
  9. I prayed, & God gave me my soldier in green. I thank Thee!
    I prayed, & God gave me my soldier in green. I thank Thee!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Meggie View Post
    Completely agree with Meggie. My oldest got a shiba-mix from PAWS while we were stationed in Japan and he still has the dog and he's turning 18 in May!! He was four when he got him. They totally grew up together. The dog is med sized so that my son could walk him.

If your mom is wanting pure breed. I suggest these links.
    http://www.iams.com/iams/en_US/jsp/I...FREeDQodLQhJDQ

This one you put in the traits you are looking for. she doesn't have to buy the breed they suggest but then she can look at rescue dogs and adpotion places to see if there are any avalible.
    http://www.selectsmart.com/DOG/

Getting a dog that is a couple of years old is an added benefit of them already being house broken. Rescue dogs are cheaper then buying from a breeder and normally they have all their shots and are fixed, yet you are still getting the qualities you like of that breed.

Good luck! Let me know what she chooses!! hehe I'm eager to know!!
  10. Senior Member
    i will let you know , and i will show her the site .

she wont buy from a breeder so that's a no go ...but the pound usually does have an idea of the breed mix KWIM ? so i will show the sites but give it may be awhile before they go to the pound ( she is unpacking they just moved lol )
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast