Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Puppy Papers?

1. Senior Member

Puppy Papers?

Advertisements
    So I have a almost 7 month old puppy... and she still uses the papers when I'm at work (from 7am to 5pm). But then I pick them up at night and she doesn't use them at all (same with weekends because I'm home to let her out).

My problem is that the darn cat USES THE PAPERS! I swear, I put them down last night, and not 5 mins. later, the cat had tinkled on them.

And then, this morning, the SAME cat (I have two) pooped in the corner of the bathroom. Just because, apparently.

Both of my cats are litterbox trained (and have been since they were tiny babies) and there was NO litter on the floor where she pooped... and their littlebox was completely clean. But the other cat doesn't do it at all.

Any ideas on how to get her to stop? I whacked the cat on the butt with the paper towel roll that I had in my hand after she got done pooping on the floor... she knew she was a bad kitty.
  2. ..is brought to you by the letters W.T.F.!
    ..is brought to you by the letters W.T.F.!
    No idea how to deal with cats. But maybe start crate training your dog and putting her in there when you're not around, eliminating the puppy pads, therefore eliminating the cat pooping/peeing because of them?

Loves her Beautiful Wifey, Liegh.

KennyB = Greatness!
  3. Banned
    Banned
    The problem is that using the papers introduces a scent to the area that indicates it is an area meant for elimination. Physical discipline is no match for instinct in this case - as long as the scent is there (and it will remain even when the papers are not present until the area is sterilized -- the level at which they can detect it is MUCH lower than the level at which you smell it) the urge to eliminate there will be too.
  4. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Miss B Hav'n View Post
    The problem is that using the papers introduces a scent to the area that indicates it is an area meant for elimination. Physical discipline is no match for instinct in this case - as long as the scent is there (and it will remain even when the papers are not present until the area is sterilized -- the level at which they can detect it is MUCH lower than the level at which you smell it) the urge to eliminate there will be too.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    yup, it sounds like you need to crate train your puppy and get rid of the pads.
  6. On my own agin.
    On my own agin.
    Blog Entries

just my two cents hear. but maybe but a new kind of litter sometimes the litter even if they have used the same brand or type of litter for years it can start to mess with there paws and stuff.. its just an idea. a few of my friends have had the same problem. and thats how they delt with it. but I do agree with what everyone else said.
    Clickem so they Hatch.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

time to cut the puppy pads from the equation. i think most brands have a pheremone (scent) that is an attractant. that is a probable explanation for the cat using the puppy pads.