Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Shedding??? In the winter???

1. I talk alot, it just never comes out of my mouth
    I talk alot, it just never comes out of my mouth

Shedding??? In the winter???

Advertisements
    Ok, so this is the first dog that I have ever had, so I am still learning. But what is with him shedding SO much lately??? He is a lab/shepard mix (we were originally told that he was a lab/chow, but the vet said no) and I am seriously sweeping/vacuuming up enough dog hair to make a second dog, each day!!

I for some reason thought dogs shed b4 changes of the seasons, not in the middle of the winter??

Im confused!
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    They are probably shedding their summer coat to make room for their thicker winter coat. My dog is shedding really bad right now as well.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    winter coat. shorter hair goes out thicker fur comes in.
  4. I talk alot, it just never comes out of my mouth
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    They are probably shedding their summer coat to make room for their thicker winter coat. My dog is shedding really bad right now as well.
    Well I guess that would make sense, but I had thought I had already went through that phase. But now that I think about it, he didn't shed too much until now.

Seriously though, is there a trick to cleaning up the hair? I sweep it up and vacuum, then I try to mop the kitchen floor and it seems that I end up just pushing around more hair only now its all wet and gross!

Im telling you I could do this twice a day and I still would have tumble weeds of hair rolling around my kitchen floor !
  5. ...
    My dog sheds all year round too. I sometimes get dog hairs in my throat That's super disgusting when that happens.
  6. Senior Member
    I've found sweeping and then vacuuming it up helps. My Dyson (pet) does hard floors as well as carpet so it's great. I always brush Chester outside (he's a lab). I have a "furminator" brush which was pricey, but it has made it easier. There are some attachments you can get for vacuums that actually vacuum it straight from the dogs fur (if they'll tolerate it). There's one with a little massage thing that is supposed to be nice. But Chester prefers hand brushing.

I've found my swiffer does a pretty good job on the hard floors too with the pet hair.

And yes, Chester's shedding too. With this insane snow fall, he's gone into shedding overdrive! LOL
  7. I talk alot, it just never comes out of my mouth
    Quote Originally Posted by andreacn View Post
    My dog sheds all year round too. I sometimes get dog hairs in my throat That's super disgusting when that happens.
    Oh lord, i would not enjoy that! However I am trying not to let my OCD get the better of me, because I have this urge to wash all of my dishes over again cause I am finding dog hair on the newly washed dishes I a unloading from the dishwasher!
  8. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

My lab is shedding a lot also. She isn't just shedding her summer coat but she is also transitioning from her puppy coat to her adult coat. The thing that made a HUGE difference was brushing her more often. We brush her every day or too, no less than every 2.