Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I feel bad?

1. Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Dreams come true... I am living mine

Should I feel bad?

Advertisements
    I have a neighbor who has a small dog. I have told her that her dog can get out of their fence (including showing up at their front door with dog following me). I have recommended that they get chicken wire for their fence as it is a cheap way that will keep the dog restricted.

She did not listen the dog was constantly getting out and coming into my yard. I have 2 LARGE dogs who do not understand size difference in animals and I was scared they would hurt her dog if they tried to play with it.

I called housing and they said that they could not do anything and told me to call animal control. I let it go until her dog got loose again and came in my yard and my dog (who is on a cable because he can jump the fence) twisted dh's ankle because he was trying to get to the neighbors dog (that was in our yard again) to play with it.

So I called animal control and told them what was going on. Animal control came out and told them they had to put up a fence. She came over to me the other day saying that she was planning on putting up the fence but was waiting until after x-mas so she could get her kids gifts...

the kicker is when I asked her if the kids got gifts she said yeah.

So should I feel bad that she got in trouble? That was not my goal, I honestly was worried about her dog getting hurt, if not by my dogs the one of the 12314876987 animals in the area. I had already talked to her what else should I have done?
    DREAMS CAN COME TRUE
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    It sounds like you have done everything you can. My neighbors have a small dog that keeps squeezing through the fence as well. I'm afraid he is going to get hurt one day. It sounds like you have been nice about it, and at some point she is going to have to take responsibility for her own pet.
  3. Occasional lurker
    Occasional lurker
    I think you handled it reasonably. Your neighbor was given a warning and I can't blame you for wanting her to be a bit more responsible with her pets, seeing as you have larger dogs.

4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Personally I woul dhave put up a fence if there was an issue with other dogs coming into my yard. BUT with that said no don't feel bad that's what animal control is for.
  5. Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Her dog is like a 5 pound Lassa Alpso puppy I have 75 pound and 65 pound pit mixes... I REFUSE to have my dogs deemed aggressive because of someone elses negligence
    DREAMS CAN COME TRUE
  6. Occasional lurker
    Occasional lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Her dog is like a 5 pound Lassa Alpso puppy I have 75 pound and 65 pound pit mixes... I REFUSE to have my dogs deemed aggressive because of someone elses negligence
    Valid point.

7. Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    Personally I woul dhave put up a fence if there was an issue with other dogs coming into my yard. BUT with that said no don't feel bad that's what animal control is for.
    She is the only one I have had that problem with. My dogs don't go out of my yard and are NEVER outside unsupervised, so I did not see why I should have to put money into it.
    DREAMS CAN COME TRUE
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Maybe you could put chicken wire up on your side of the fence, just to keep her dog out of your yard? That's what we did.
  9. Dreams come true... I am living mine
    The problem with chicken wire with my dogs is that it is not strong enough to handle my dogs jumping against it I am worried they would get tangled in it. That is why we put Troubble on a cable so he won't get out of the yard.
    DREAMS CAN COME TRUE
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    She is the only one I have had that problem with. My dogs don't go out of my yard and are NEVER outside unsupervised, so I did not see why I should have to put money into it.
    Yea after I said that I realized it came out wrong. I meant that personally I wouldn't deal with the confrontation. I would put up a fence and then not have to deal with it..kwim. I didn't mean you were wrong for not having one.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast