Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: puppy potty training question

1. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries

puppy potty training question

Advertisements
    I have a 10 week old blue heeler that I'm attempting to potty train, in general she does pretty well and she knows that when I take her outside on her leash she has to tinkle or I won't bring her back in. Generally she doesn't poop inside (which is good) but no matter how often I take her outside she still tinkles inside a lot!! I can take her out once every 30 minutes and she'll still find time to tinkle on the carpet!!

So my question, any suggestions as to how to stop the tinkle issue?

Second question, when she does have an accident inside should I spank her and do the whole rub her nose in it thing? I just don't like doing that because I feel like it's unneccessary...she's already peed inside and I take her out as soon as I see her doing it but spanking her feels wrong.

Any suggestions are welcome!!!

2. ive never been so alone, and ive never been so alive
    ive never been so alone, and ive never been so alive
    praise her when she pees outside and do rub her nose in it and spank her. its harsh, but they learn quick that thats a negative thing
    "Will you tell me what you saw and I'll tell you what you missed, when the ocean met the sky. "
  3. ive never been so alone, and ive never been so alive
    oh and i potty trained a blue heeler puppy at 5 weeks and she went to the door when she had to go. theyre beyond smart and catch on in a few tries
    "Will you tell me what you saw and I'll tell you what you missed, when the ocean met the sky. "
  4. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    how did you train her to sit at the door? Did you use puppy pads at all?

5. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

It's normal for them to have accidents at that age no matter how much you take them out. If you SEE her starting to pee stop her.. make a noise, say no etc. and take her outside immediately. If you don't see it, just clean it up and forget it happened. Scolding the dog afterwards does no good because they don't know what they are in trouble for. Rubbing their nose in it and spanking them isn't any good.

Just continue to take her out every 30 minutes, take her out whenever you've noticed a certain time she made need to go or when she shows signs of neeing to pee. Praise her when she does pee outside. It takes time, but as long as you're consistance it'll happen.

My dogs learned to sit at the door just because they knew that was the door they went out to pee. I didn't have to do anything to teach them.
  6. ive never been so alone, and ive never been so alive
    yeah i used pads at night and when i was gone for the day. she would follow me everywhere so i would walk to the door saying "ok time to go peepee! potty time!!" and such then when we would go to the lawn i would say "ok dakota go peepee!" over and over, then when she would go i would give her love and say "good girl! good pee pee!" then if she would go inside, i would rub her nose and swat her on the rear and say "BAD!!". she caught on in a week and would tell me when she had to go outside.

i miss her i had her in my life when she was 4-9 weeks old fostering her when her mommy died. she happy though in her new home and is over a year old now. i cant wait to get one of her puppies when they breed her.

you got a great breed
  7. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Well I think I'm going to invest in some puppy pads and see how it goes...she's very intellegent and I don't think she wants to potty in the house, I kinda blame myself for not being attentive enough! I will let yall know!!

I had a half heeler before which is why I chose to get another one! They are amazing and fun...and I'm partial but she's beautiful!!

8. ..is brought to you by the letters W.T.F.!
    ..is brought to you by the letters W.T.F.!
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post
    It's normal for them to have accidents at that age no matter how much you take them out. If you SEE her starting to pee stop her.. make a noise, say no etc. and take her outside immediately. If you don't see it, just clean it up and forget it happened. Scolding the dog afterwards does no good because they don't know what they are in trouble for. Rubbing their nose in it and spanking them isn't any good.

Just continue to take her out every 30 minutes, take her out whenever you've noticed a certain time she made need to go or when she shows signs of neeing to pee. Praise her when she does pee outside. It takes time, but as long as you're consistance it'll happen.

My dogs learned to sit at the door just because they knew that was the door they went out to pee. I didn't have to do anything to teach them.
    perfectly said.

Loves her Beautiful Wifey, Liegh.

KennyB = Greatness!
  9. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    Well I think I'm going to invest in some puppy pads and see how it goes...she's very intellegent and I don't think she wants to potty in the house, I kinda blame myself for not being attentive enough! I will let yall know!!

I had a half heeler before which is why I chose to get another one! They are amazing and fun...and I'm partial but she's beautiful!!
    I personally wouldn't suggest pad training because all it's doing it giving them the OK to potty in the house. Now if it were a small dog that you wanted to always let use a pad in the house that'd be one thing, but a dog that you want to always potty outside I don't think pads are a good idea. I have puppy pads for traveling in case they have an accident when they haven't been trained yet, but that's about it. I've housebroken a lot of dogs both mine and fosters. I do it the same way for every one of them, small to large breeds and I've completely crate trained and housebroken them all.
  10. Senior Member
    We house trained our lab the same way Sarah (Caimbrie) trains her dogs. It worked very well for us. Sirago will sit by the door when he has to go out, but if we aren't within eye shot of the door he comes and finds us and stares you down and/or whines until you get the hint that he has to go out. Every dog is different, but they WILL learn a way of letting you know when they need to go out.

Something else we did was split up going out to potty time and going out to play time. We never let him play and go potty in the same trip outside. Yes sometimes we'd come back in the house for a minute or two then go back out to play. But in the beginning it helped him to learn that he needed to go outside to potty. We also used command words with him, I would just take him out (to the same spot every time) and tell him to go pee if he didn't I would say it again, once he would finally go I would give hi a treat and praise him. Same thing with going poo. Now if we tell him to go pee or poo he will go on command almost every time (unless of course he doesn't have to go). Makes things like getting him to go to the bathroom before a car ride or something a lot easier.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast