Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: This is really difficult

Banned

Help This is really difficult

Advertisements
    So I'm at my mom's today watching the dog and it's just so hard. She's 14 has arthritis so she can barely stand up, she can't bark anymore and she's deaf

On top of that my moms is legally blind and can't see her when she's sitting on the ground and now that my puppy can no longer hear her coming my walks into her a LOT

I've tried talking to my mom about maybe putting her down because she's suffering and it hurts so much to see her like that

But my mom is in complete denial and won't even discuss the topic she just keeps insisting the dog is happy and you don't kill someone who is happy just because they are old.

Idk if anyone has dealt with this before but if anyone has ANY advice one how maybe I can help my mom to realize that she needs to do the right thing for the dog it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
  2. Senior Member
    It's time to think quality not quantity of lfe. I had a 15 year old dog that was the same way. We ended up putting her down in May. She could barely walk, was deaf, going blind etc. She just hurt all the time. Maybe if you take your mom to the vet with the dog and they tell her...sometimes that is what it takes, someone else outside of family to say it's time.
  3. CAITstoppable
    CAITstoppable
    I'm sorry to hear about this. I would try and convince your mom to see your side of the siutation.

http://twitter.com/CLAiken

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by USCGBoxerMom View Post
    It's time to think quality not quantity of lfe. I had a 15 year old dog that was the same way. We ended up putting her down in May. She could barely walk, was deaf, going blind etc. She just hurt all the time. Maybe if you take your mom to the vet with the dog and they tell her...sometimes that is what it takes, someone else outside of family to say it's time.
    I've thought about that except our vet is the husband of one of my mom's best friends

I don't want this to be taken the wrong way and I could never actually do it, but there are times when I think if I could just like give her something that would just make her painlessly go to sleep I would. And I hate that I even think that
  5. Hooked on the sauce
    Hooked on the sauce
    Oh that's tough.

I assume your mom is aware of the pups' problems? Maybe taking her to the VET to have him say all of the problems and long-term problems the dog is having. ...wouldn't be such a bad idea... Even though it's still hard. I'm guessing it's been a life-long pet for those 14 years...which is killer.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I <3 ACK View Post
    I've thought about that except our vet is the husband of one of my mom's best friends

I don't want this to be taken the wrong way and I could never actually do it, but there are times when I think if I could just like give her something that would just make her painlessly go to sleep I would. And I hate that I even think that
    Why not call him and see about an in-home euthanaisa? I am sure he would see it your way and not make the dog suffer.
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by USCGBoxerMom View Post
    Why not call him and see about an in-home euthanaisa? I am sure he would see it your way and not make the dog suffer.
    Oooo they can do that??? Honestly I don't think when my mom finally decides it's time we will even be able to get her in the car. I think she just wants her to die naturally at home but well it's just taking to long
  8. Senior Member
    YES...they can. There is usually an in-home charge but sometimes they waive that. I would ask him.
  9. Do fairytales ever come true?
    Do fairytales ever come true?
    Virginia Beach Va (hubby is on USS Bataan)
    Blog Entries
    im sure that the vet would agree with you on this. maybe him and his wife would come to the home and take care of everything and tell your mom why it needs to be done? do you think she would be lonely? maybe another pet would be good...

[/url]
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBoyOneGirl View Post
    im sure that the vet would agree with you on this. maybe him and his wife would come to the home and take care of everything and tell your mom why it needs to be done? do you think she would be lonely? maybe another pet would be good...
    I think she would be lonely. But she doesn't want another dog because it's to difficult for her with her vision to have a puppy. I've tried suggesting an older shelter dog but it's just a really touchy subject. I know I'm at least going to table it through the holidays but something needs to be done.

I just hate that she thinks I want to kill the dog. It's not that at all she's been my puppy since 2nd grade I just can't see her suffer.

Thank You everyone for the advice, especially the in-home option which I didn't even know existed