Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advantage for dogs

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Advantage for dogs

Advertisements
    I just bought some advantage for my dog (he is a boxer). I haven't used it yet and I am wondering if it will end up making his back all wet and gross looking from the stuff and if so how long does it usually last? (the reason I ask is because my mom has cats and she uses it on them and their fur gets all wet/greasy looking for a while where the advantage is applied).

He doesn't have any fleas, but I want to keep him from getting them. Should I just wait and see if he does end up getting fleas before using something like this, or should I just do it to prevent it happening.

I am afraid to put this type of thing on him because know my kids will be petting him and playing with him and I don't want it all over them as well?

Any advice or previous experiences with this product is very much appreciated, especially since this stuff is so darn expensive! Cost just over 50 bucks for only a 4 month supply!
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i use frontline plus, but i'm sure it's pretty much the same thing. anyway, yeah, you put it on his back inbetween his shoulder blades and then right at the top of tail. it does leave a little wet spot. with buddy it looks like he just had some gel put on his back. it should only last about a half a day to a day. and instead of only putting it in two spots, you might be able to put small amounts between his shoulder blades, top of his tail, then also behind his ears, in his "arm pits" and just a line down his back. that might make it so there isn't such a huge wet spot on him.

If you save one dog you won't change the world--but surely the world will change for that one dog.
    "Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog." -Franklin P. Jones
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    yeah it actually says in the instructions to put it from the back of his neck to the tail in 3 to 4 different spots. Ok, so like a day or 2 isn't too bad I guess.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed

good luck
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGirl
    good luck

Thanks I just hate that icky wet/greasy look...he is too handsome to do that to him
  6. Senior Member
    just know that if you use advantage, it is not water proof so you can't give the dog a bath or the stuff washes off...i used to use that on my dog till i found that out...i now use frontline plus because it is waterproof and i can give him a bath after 2 days
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by amy24cali
    just know that if you use advantage, it is not water proof so you can't give the dog a bath or the stuff washes off...i used to use that on my dog till i found that out...i now use frontline plus because it is waterproof and i can give him a bath after 2 days
    That is so good to know! Maybe I should go and exchange it for frontline then!
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I prefer frontline plus. Mainly because thats what we used in most the vet offices I worked in. Plus it is waterproof, protects against fleas, eggs and the like plus ticks etc. I dunno. I am sure advantage works really well too but I have just always been a fan of frontline.

With the frontline we just put it in 1 spot on the back of the neck. It is only wet for overnight (we always do it at night) and then by the AM you cant really tell where we did it.

G'luck!
  9. Death Before Decaf!!
    Death Before Decaf!!
    Blog Entries
    I use advantage and we like it. It has the greasy look for awhile (overnight like Kristi said) and then it's ok in the morning
    "Wine is proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin~
  10. caligirlnjapan
    We have a Boxer/Mastiff and use Frontline on him - he's not greasy for long if at all. Never used Advantage on him though - just the Frontline!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast