Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Question about worming

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Question about worming

Advertisements
    When we got Iris from the shelter they told us that she had been dewormed, and up on her shots. Well the first time we took her to the vet they insisted on giving her a dewormer pill. She took the first one and then three weeks later she took the second one. Anyway, she had worms coming out in her BM's. By the second pill she didn't have anymore. My question is, did the shelter lie about deworming her, or does a dewormer have to be done every month?
  2. Senior Member
    Maybe the shelter didn't make sure that she had the complete series, or she picked them up again. Worms are really easy for them to pick up, all they have to do is sniff the poop of another animal that has worms. Usually though, if dogs/cats are mostly indoor animals, they don't get it again.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie119
    Maybe the shelter didn't make sure that she had the complete series, or she picked them up again. Worms are really easy for them to pick up, all they have to do is sniff the poop of another animal that has worms. Usually though, if dogs/cats are mostly indoor animals, they don't get it again.
    They should get a series to deworm them. Only 1 dose will not do the trick. So the shelter may of indeed dewormed her but didn't do a full series.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I agree deworming is a process, thats why when you get a dog from like a breeder your vet will always give you more of it. Worms freak me out, thats why I will never ever use a dog park...Ive seen so many dogs come in with worms and RING WORM its GROSS!
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    growing up my dad always gave our dogs every few months either Copenhagen or some type of Tobacco to eat to prevent worms..our dogs never got worms so now I do the same thing and none of my dogs have ever gotten worms yet either.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Make sure you continue to give her flea protection every 3 months or however often w/ the brand you have.

Even if she is indoor, you can bring in fleas w/ your shoes and she can get worms that way if she's not protected.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    The worms you get from fleas tho are usually tapeworms where the worms they have as puppies and such are round worms. Which will require a different treatment usually if she gets it. But yep you wanna keep up on that flea control!!
    Last edited by Kaymara; 01-05-2006 at 07:15 AM.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Ahh...I thought her cat had tapeworms. Didn't know cats even got ringworm
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Rach
    Ahh...I thought her cat had tapeworms. Didn't know cats even got ringworm
    Dogs and cats usually have round worms as puppies and kittens.Tapeworm is from fleas and ringworm can be from anywhere. When I got my cat back in 98 she had ring worm and shared it with me. SO I had a nice huge ring on my arm Animals can actually get almost everything humans can get. In fact there is even feline AIDS...

All 3 types of worms are icky tho.