Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help!!

1. alym

Bang Head help!!

Advertisements
    ok, nilla came house broken and somehow she managed to unhousebreak herself. i feel like she controls me because we're kennel training her and we're trying to get her used to our times to sleep. no i don't want her sleeping with us EVER. well we had her in our room but she keeps us/me awake all night then i had her in the living room.. same story (living room is okay i guess) when we put her outside she barks and whines and i tell her not to. our neighbors can hear and i can hear them complain from afar..
    she goes to sleep at 11 then wakes up at 3 sometimes to pee sometimes just to mess with my head.. then she goes to sleep then wakes up at 5 & does it again.. i only get sleep during the daytime which is really messing my pattern up. im trying to be strict with her and keeping her in the kennel all night.

i don't get it i play with her.. i take her outside in the yard, i take her out to go pee & poop at the right occasions.. but she still has more accidents and more every single day. if i have to resort to using potty pads then i guess i'll have to scince she's being stubborn.
    i'm gonna have to keep her in the screened in patio if it her potty habits get worse.
    she tests me at times and i don't think it's a big deal but she's really getting to me.. i can't sleep.. i can't eat sometimes.. i can't do anything else..
    (does this happen with your dogs?)
    i mean i want her house broken and i don't want her going all over in a room. (like she's trying to do now)

when i get a job im hoping that we can put the pool cover on & finish our privacy fence and she can play most of the day in the yard (that has to be at the end of the month because our funds are low and we might have to pay double house payments if we don't have a renter for the old house)
    i thought i was ready for a dog but my patience tires with an ungrateful animal.. im gonna get a job and leave her on the patio/yard.. i don't care if she looses her voice or if the neighbor complains! she has to grow out of that puppy phase soon..
    i have shaun, the house, then her.

please give me positive input..
  2. nicole
    What breed is she? Small breeds and terriers are generally hell to housebreak.

That being said, it seems like you have the right idea, you just need to be more patient and realistic with your expectations. This is what we did with our pup, it was a recommended method by a breeder friend of mine:

Being "free" in the house is a privilege, not a right. If he peed on the floor, we took him outside (never scold them after the fact, only if you literally catch them in the act), then he went to his crate for awhile. Out of the crate, straight to the door and outside to potty. Use praise words like "Good Potty!" anytime they go outside. She'll begin to associate "potty" and praise to the act of going potty outside. Then he got playtime in the house, ALWAYS supervised. If she pees in her crate, don't scold her, just clean it up.

Depending on her age, she may just be acting like a puppy. Young pups...4 or so months and younger, should not be expected to hold their bladder all night. If she wakes up in the middle of the night, take her directly outside, then directly back to the crate. Otherwise, let her bark, she'll get over it. If she's older, I'd mention it to the vet the next time you're in, there may be an underlying medical condition that's causing her to not have control of her bladder.

Never let her out of your sight, until she has had no accidents for at least two weeks, a month would be better. A friend of mine attached her pup's leash to her waistband and had the dog with her at all times.

Remember, a puppy is just a baby. They want to please us, we just have to show them how. Some are more stubborn than others, but bear with them, they're just babies.
    Last edited by nicole; 06-12-2006 at 06:10 PM.
  3. alym
    Quote Originally Posted by nicole
    What breed is she? Small breeds and terriers are generally hell to housebreak.

That being said, it seems like you're doing the right thing. This is what we did with our pup, it was a recommended method by a breeder friend of mine:

Being "free" in the house is a privilege, not a right. If he peed on the floor, we took him outside (never scold them after the fact, only if you literally catch them in the act), then he went to his crate for awhile. Out of the crate, straight to the door and outside to potty. Use praise words like "Good Potty!" anytime they go outside. She'll begin to associate "potty" and praise to the act of going potty outside. Then he got playtime in the house, ALWAYS supervised. If she pees in her crate, don't scold her, just clean it up.

Depending on her age, she may just be acting like a puppy. Young pups...4 or so months and younger, should not be expected to hold their bladder all night. If she wakes up in the middle of the night, take her directly outside, then directly back to the crate. Otherwise, let her bark, she'll get over it. If she's older, I'd mention it to the vet the next time you're in, there may be an underlying medical condition that's causing her to not have control of her bladder.

Never let her out of your sight, until she has had no accidents for at least two weeks, a month would be better. A friend of mine attached her pup's leash to her waistband and had the dog with her at all times.

Remember, a puppy is just a baby. They want to please us, we just have to show them how. Some are more stubborn than others, but bear with them, they're just babies.

she's a golden retreiver/boxer mix she'll be a med sized dog but i think shes mixed with something smaller because her paws are tiny and her tail curls up and that's not of those two breeds, people think she has a pitbulls mug but alot of other dogs do so i dunno..
    we do all of those things that you said.. we haven't had a complaint from the neighbor yet so i guess i can let that go if she's just messing with our minds and wating to play at god forbid 2 am then at 4 am..
    she went without yelping/peeing all night & she does not ever go in her crate(kennel) we don't have her leash trained yet she hates it and my husband is the better one with that..the good thing about her is that she takes baths in our bathroom sink (yep she's that tiny at 8 weeks)
    thanks for the input.
  4. nicole
    And one more note: Dogs thrive on schedules. First thing in the morning, take her out. Then take her out again after every meal and every play session. Young pups can't hold their bladder as well as older ones. We got ours at 9 weeks old, and he peed literally every thirty minutes during the day. Now he can go 3 hours, and even longer at night when he's sleeping. She won't grow out of the puppy phase anytime soon. She'll still be considered a puppy at least until she's a year old, and for some breeds, 2 years old is a better timeline.
  5. nicole
    Quote Originally Posted by alym
    she's a golden retreiver/boxer mix she'll be a med sized dog but i think shes mixed with something smaller because her paws are tiny and her tail curls up and that's not of those two breeds, people think she has a pitbulls mug but alot of other dogs do so i dunno..
    we do all of those things that you said.. we haven't had a complaint from the neighbor yet so i guess i can let that go if she's just messing with our minds and wating to play at god forbid 2 am then at 4 am..
    she went without yelping/peeing all night & she does not ever go in her crate(kennel) we don't have her leash trained yet she hates it and my husband is the better one with that..the good thing about her is that she takes baths in our bathroom sink (yep she's that tiny at 8 weeks)
    thanks for the input.
    8 weeks? Sounds like she's right on schedule, I know that's not what you want to hear. Hang in there. Keep reminding yourself that she's just a baby. We forget that too often. My dog is 6 months old, and is a completely different boy than when we got him. It took him awhile, but he caught on, and is a great companion. Don't give up on her so soon.

If you're concerned with her reaction to her leash, the breeder we purchased our dog from has some great advice. Click on "Training", then "Leash Breaking". But if it's not a huge deal for you right now, that's cool. Our dog has issues with acting like he's some kind of sled dog when he's on his leash (digs in real low and breaths heavy like some kind of obscene crank caller ), but he's starting obedience school soon, so he'll be walking like a pro in no time.
  6. alym
    Quote Originally Posted by nicole
    And one more note: Dogs thrive on schedules. First thing in the morning, take her out. Then take her out again after every meal and every play session. Young pups can't hold their bladder as well as older ones. We got ours at 9 weeks old, and he peed literally every thirty minutes during the day. Now he can go 3 hours, and even longer at night when he's sleeping. She won't grow out of the puppy phase anytime soon. She'll still be considered a puppy at least until she's a year old, and for some breeds, 2 years old is a better timeline.

we do that with her.. i watch her 24/7 i take her to go potty every 10-20 mins..

LOL i know what you mean about dogs sometimes loving/controlling the leash.. my mother in laws pit would zoom off but i know how to control him,, i just don't know how to leash train and im not looking forward to it!
  7. Senior Member
    Hiyas!

Everything Nicole said is definitely true! That's how I crate trained my dog, and as she said you have to start a schedule so the puppy gets used to the idea that there are specific times for it to go out. If I remember correctly, the formula for the amount of times a puppy has to pee in relation to how old it is is: For every 1 month that the dog is old = 1 hour that its bladder can hold itself. Some dogs train faster than others, but that's a pretty accurate assumption, and your dog is right on target!

I had mine on a leash from 8 weeks every time we went outside (early morning pee breaks I carried her out and put it on as I was walking). That got her used to the idea that she had a leash, and then as soon as she was old enough to take classes, I took her.

One thing my current trainer suggests (ymmv) is using a Gentle Leader when the dog gets older. It basically acts like a horse bridal does, so you end up leading the dog by its head instead of pulling on its neck. It helps a ton for dogs who are pullers, and just makes them easier to train in the long run. You do end up having to do some extra work for training the dog to walk on the leash without the Leader, but if I had to do it all over again, I'd definitely use one.

Good luck, and remember that the little fuzzball loves you no matter where it pees! :yeehaw
  8. nicole
    Quote Originally Posted by DaPookie
    I had mine on a leash from 8 weeks every time we went outside (early morning pee breaks I carried her out and put it on as I was walking). That got her used to the idea that she had a leash, and then as soon as she was old enough to take classes, I took her.
    I definitely agree with this, and it's what we've done with our puppy. He's only started having leash issues in the past month or so. We've also only recently allowed him to be in the backyard (it's completely fenced) without his leash on potty breaks. He's a big boy, and is going through his "adolescent" phase, so he's getting a little cocky with the walks.
  9. alym
    im not going to take her on walks just yet but we do walk/run/play in our own yard. i also take her to my friend's houses but they don't have pets. (well one had a cat but the cat was being witchy to her) she's socialized with kids so im happy

i used to take my old dog outside even though the vet discouraged me to because shes so young she can catch parvo. my old dog got this puppy bronchitis & almost died!! i had to wait for a whole weekend so that they could take care of her. one of my friend's puppy ate sand and had to get his stomach pumped & my other friends puppy got huge white worms from another dog it was so disgusting!!
    im taking my dog out for walks when she gets older, i still need to get heart worm meds & her next shots soon too.

I'm gonna try that retractable leash scince alot of people i know use them.. if she gets fussy then i might just have to get a harnest too. i told my husband that we needed a baby gate for the inside for her to play in so that she's not crawling under places (that irritates me) & he said he's gonna make some out of wire!! (*sigh )
    & we want to make her a dog house outside & a gated area in which she can play in our yard and not drown in our pool.

thanks for the help everyone!
  10. nicole
    Quote Originally Posted by alym
    im not going to take her on walks just yet but we do walk/run/play in our own yard. i also take her to my friend's houses but they don't have pets. (well one had a cat but the cat was being witchy to her) she's socialized with kids so im happy

i used to take my old dog outside even though the vet discouraged me to because shes so young she can catch parvo. my old dog got this puppy bronchitis & almost died!! i had to wait for a whole weekend so that they could take care of her. one of my friend's puppy ate sand and had to get his stomach pumped & my other friends puppy got huge white worms from another dog it was so disgusting!!
    im taking my dog out for walks when she gets older, i still need to get heart worm meds & her next shots soon too.

I'm gonna try that retractable leash scince alot of people i know use them.. if she gets fussy then i might just have to get a harnest too. i told my husband that we needed a baby gate for the inside for her to play in so that she's not crawling under places (that irritates me) & he said he's gonna make some out of wire!! (*sigh )
    & we want to make her a dog house outside & a gated area in which she can play in our yard and not drown in our pool.

thanks for the help everyone!
    Those are all great ideas, and once she gets her own little schedule down, she'll be a happy puppy. I had a childhood pet (a very young puppy) die of parvo before he even had a chance to be vaccinated, so you're doing a good thing, keeping her isolated until she's received all of her shots. Once she's old enough, I'd recommend taking her for walks. It's different for dogs than exercise/play (which is what she gets in the backyard with you). Supposedly dogs like to feel like they're part of a pack, and by taking them for walks, they realize they're part of your "pack", you just have to make sure you're their leader (which is what I'm struggling with now...I'm pretty sure Cody thinks he's the leader on the walks, so we're going to obedience school).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast