Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Cats & Shots.....

1. Senior Member

Cats & Shots.....

Advertisements
    df brought a kitten home the day before Thanksgiving. I've never had a cat before (more of a dog person) But I know they need to get shots. I don't even know how old he is. Should I just take him to the vet and they will give him whatever. Or can I buy the shots and give them myself ( we always did that with the dog). Also when can I get him fixed? He is an inside cat but I don't want him to get out and "prowl". Thanx!
  2. Lifes hard... get a helmet.
    Lifes hard... get a helmet.
    I'd take him to the vet for the first visit, so they can test for things like feline leukimia, then if you wanted you could give the routine shots on your own.
    Please Remember to follow OPSEC!!!

Life is hard.... Wear a helmet
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Make a vet appointment. Like stated above you want to test for feline Lukemia and feline aids. If the kitty is going to be indoor only then you can just get the rabies shot and the upper respiratory shot (FVRCPP) and skip the feline Luk shot. But if you worry about kitty getting out then you should go ahead and get the feline luk shot too. The kitty will get a series of shots to start so you'll get a the shots and have to come back in 3 weeks until they are up to date. Then you go back yearly. I would also reccomend a fecal test to make sure no worms or anything going on. You can do the shots yourself but I would suggest getting them done at the vet until the series is done and kitty is up to date.

I would wait until around 6 months old to fix your pet. This is supposed to be the recommended age now for that!
  4. Cheeseburger in Paradise
    Cheeseburger in Paradise
    Blog Entries
    ah shoot our cat hasn't been to the vet since he was 6 months... oops!
  5. Senior Member
    Thak you so much for the info. I have gotten SO atatched to this little kitty!