Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my puppy has a temper

1. Aimee

Confused my puppy has a temper

Advertisements
    Help! The puppy that df had to have 4 days before he left for a month has been driving me nuts! I got her housetrained and I trained her to stay off the furniture and I almost have her trained not to jump so it sounds like she's doing pretty good, right? I thought so too until last night. She's been starting to get into a few things like grabbing a tissue or a napkin. She also got my shoe and a paper plate and a cup. When she did this I'd get near her and she'd growl and snip at me, but she knows the "drop" command so I'd tell her to drop it and give her a toy instead and she was fine. Well last night I was on the computer and I heard her moving around in the kitchen so I went to investigate. She had her paws on the counter and was attempting to get a bowl of food I had left up there (by mistake, I thought I had put it in the fridge). I yelled at her "Shasta no" and "get down", she turned her head, jumped off the counter and bit me! She had my whole right hand in her mouth. It felt like she but my whole hand off, but after I washed it off, I saw she got me on the pointer and middle fingers. I was bleeding all over and crying like a baby because it really really hurt. After i got a towl around it I got to her and showed her my hand and said "ouch" and "no bite". That's what I read online, to show them that biting hurts and tell them not to do it. But now I'm afraid to go near her when she's getting into something she shouldn't because she bit me really good. Any suggestions from anyone who has puppies? I know that she doesn't realize what she's doing because she's just a baby. But she obviously can't be biting me, especially if it draws blood.
  2. uscgwife05
    First I'm sorry you got bit. I think sometimes it's not so much the bite that hurts it's just kinda scary when a dog bites you no matter how small the dog is. Plus puppies have extremely sharp teeth. The little suckers hurt. Ok my parents bred German Shepherds all their life,way before I was born. Whenever they were training dogs to not do something,like bite or get into anything they would use a spray bottle. Fill it with a little bit of water and when the dog starts to get into something give him a little squirt. Works well with cats too. That's what I used to keep our dog from tearing up my shoes and the cat from scratching my furniture. Good luck with your puppy!
  3. Aimee
    Thanks for the advice! I am definitely going to try that. I just know that in the future I can't get really close to her when she's into something she knows she shouldn't be. A spray bottle that sprays far would work really good. Thanks!
  4. Always n Forever
    Always n Forever
    what kind of puppy? and where did you get her from?
  5. Aimee
    She's 8 months old and she's a Lab, Rott., Huskey mix. We got her from the SPCA.
  6. Always n Forever
    Always n Forever
    I just wondered...it could have been mistreated by its previous owners so now its trying to show its dominance. I recommend the water bottle too..that way you dont have to get too close to reprimand him
  7. Aimee
    Thanks ladies, I'll try it. Her previous owners turned her in to the SPCA because they had small kids and she was mouthy with them. But she's a puppy, so she has to learn. She probably could have been hit by them too I suppose. That's not teaching a puppy anything by hitting it. I just need to be patient I guess.
  8. uscgwife05
    Just to let you know it might be the Husky coming out of her. We have a Siberian Husky/German Shepherd mix and he can be such a pain. He used to get very mouthy with me and DS. I talked to the rescue place where we got him from(specializes in Huskies) and she said lots of Huskies have that. The water bottle really did work with him though. He doesn't dare try to nibble or anything. It might just take a lot of work especially if she could have been mistreated.
  9. Aimee
    I never would have thought it was the Husky in her. Everyone in my family said "oh that must be the Rottweiler in her". Shes not viscious by any means, just mouthy. I have lots of patience (way more than df) so I'm going to really work with her and the spray bottle and try to get it under control before he gets home. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I hope it works with her.
  10. alym
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimee
    Help! The puppy that df had to have 4 days before he left for a month has been driving me nuts! I got her housetrained and I trained her to stay off the furniture and I almost have her trained not to jump so it sounds like she's doing pretty good, right? I thought so too until last night. She's been starting to get into a few things like grabbing a tissue or a napkin. She also got my shoe and a paper plate and a cup. When she did this I'd get near her and she'd growl and snip at me, but she knows the "drop" command so I'd tell her to drop it and give her a toy instead and she was fine. Well last night I was on the computer and I heard her moving around in the kitchen so I went to investigate. She had her paws on the counter and was attempting to get a bowl of food I had left up there (by mistake, I thought I had put it in the fridge). I yelled at her "Shasta no" and "get down", she turned her head, jumped off the counter and bit me! She had my whole right hand in her mouth. It felt like she but my whole hand off, but after I washed it off, I saw she got me on the pointer and middle fingers. I was bleeding all over and crying like a baby because it really really hurt. After i got a towl around it I got to her and showed her my hand and said "ouch" and "no bite". That's what I read online, to show them that biting hurts and tell them not to do it. But now I'm afraid to go near her when she's getting into something she shouldn't because she bit me really good. Any suggestions from anyone who has puppies? I know that she doesn't realize what she's doing because she's just a baby. But she obviously can't be biting me, especially if it draws blood.

Hey,
    I've had a puppy before and we were doing everything wrong, we couldnt afford our pit/lab and she was being aggressive with us..
    so we learned from our mistakes and we have a new golden retriever mix puppy.
    i read what you had wrote & i hope i can help you out a little..
    A few things i've learned is..
    1. the puppy is testing you..even if you teach your puppy to do all the right things.. they're gonna be curious and see what happens when they do the reverse.
    2. Be agressive!! You're in control, not the dog! teach it discipline.. be the dominate one.. you are taking care of her and she knows it!
    3. The dog had bit you.. just like on snow dogs.. bite her back on her ear and show her how it feels! im not saying that you should draw blood or bite her too hard. but whenever she does something wrong do the same thing and say, "NO" or "BAD" she'll get the idea in her head when she's told 1,000 times.
    4. puppies have short attention spans.
    5. use simple commands usually one word and if nned be 2..
    6. she needs plenty of attention.. her "lashing out on you" might be a way of getting a little more time with u or jealousy of someone else or rebellion and she may even act like a crying infant all day/all night.

we give our puppy a spank & put our puppy in the crate for 10 minutes when she does something bad or is just being spoiled..crate training is good and it's great for house breaking puppies too.

Now my mother in law has a 2 year old full bred pitbull that is the perfect dog.. he is/was NEVER aggressive.. usually it's how you treat/teach an animal that will determine how healthy the puppy acts/feels..mentally/physically.
    I hear that the spray bottle only works for so long then they get bored of it and they don't like the water/baths as much.
    If all fails, and you feel like she's the one who controls your house & your husband.. (like i've felt before) then you should find a really good trainer and seek some more good help

hope i helped you out a little!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast