Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pet Smart training

1. KevzQueen

Pet Smart training

Advertisements
    Have y'all brought your animal here? How'd it go? I see the rates are by the hour. How long did it take to train him/her?
    My dog barks at every dog and skateboard that passes by. It bothers me so much. I have to put him in his room for a little while. I feel bad though because he may just want to play sometimes. I don't know why he barks at the skateboarders. Maybe he wants to go for a ride. That would be a sight.
    When we go for walks, he pulls so hard that he can barely breathe. I have to get him a new harness, but it's still hard to walk with him even with a no-pull harness. He needs to stop jumping on people too.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have never used the Petsmart classes, They have some really good classes, I encourage you to check it out! Im thinking if you went once a week for an hour class, and worked with your dog daily you would probably be able to stop taking classes after 4-6 wks. Im teaching doggy obedience classes here for the humane society starting next month (April) Im really excited about it. Ive done all the training with my dogs, and they are just so darn eager to please....
  3. Senior Member
    We checked into the classes at petsmart but then dh and i thought we could do it on our own.

Our dog is now 7months old and doesn't jump, bark, nor pull while we walk her. She walks right beside our leg. For the pulling we got a pincher collar...it looks evil but it just gets their attention. For the jumping, anytime she would jump we would use the word "off" and push her down and say no. We also NEVER so her affection unless she is on all 4 legs. She eventually caught on, took 2 weeks. For the barking, that was easy, she's NEVER barks. HTH

4. Senior Member
    We did the group lessons at Petsmart...and did it again...and again. They have a satisfaction gauruntee until your dog is trained but we just don't have the time to keep going back. So...our dog barks at EVERYTHING, jumps, whines, etc. But I think she is just one of those dogs that can't be trained.

Ask Me About IH!
  5. KevzQueen
    Quote Originally Posted by MW5M
    I'm teaching doggy obedience classes here for the humane society starting next month (April) Im really excited about it. Ive done all the training with my dogs, and they are just so darn eager to please....
    That sounds fun. Congrats on finding something you enjoy. I've thought about working with animals too since we've had Sammy. I doubt I'll do that though. I think I'm just trying to save the world and wish I could be everywhere at once. I get so sad watching animal cops shows.

Thanks y'all. Hopefully we can send him very soon.
  6. Senior Member
    My doggy actually starts classes on April 10th! It's 99.00 for 8 weeks. I'll let ya know how it's going I can't wait to bring him!
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I think they are over priced and I dont like how they have classes in the store...We found a trainer through an association that this trainer at home belongs too...We pay 60 bucks for like 7 weeks and its great...Graduation is Monday night, and then its on to advanced training and the Canine good citzenship test!
  8. purityfrenchies
    I really have mixed feelings about the PetsMart classes. I think going through a reputable private trainer with excellent credentials is a better way to go. Most AKC affiliated obedience clubs offer training classes and that way you could also get your CGC (Canine Good Citizen Certfication). Although I primarily show conformation, my personal dogs get at least a CD.
  9. Keep on dreaming little penguin
    Keep on dreaming little penguin
    I did their classes with Shadow the biggest thing is being consistent with him, we also did a private trainer she was good but the group class was better because I was there with him and saw in person what to do
    BraveLilToaster is the most awesome wifey ever!
  10. KevzQueen
    This will be an experience. Sammy will probably bark the whole time.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast