Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Needing some help reviving damaged hair!

1. Senior Member

Help Needing some help reviving damaged hair!

Advertisements
    Okay, let me just start off saying I made the horrible mistake to start dying my hair A LOT.
    I've been dying my hair for about 5 years now, and well, it's really dead. Even after I get it trimmed up it still looks pretty dead. I have pretty thick hair, and it tangles A LOT, more than usual. My hair just looks dead, I've never had this problem... So I'm looking for some products that might restore my hair back to looking shiny, and healthy again. My hair used to look great until I started dying it. I haven't bought much except for store bought stuff, which is why I'm turning to you guys, maybe someone will know what products I can use to help.

I've used Tresemme, which used to do the trick now it's just drying my hair out even more! I tried using Pantene (which also dries my hair out a lot) I tried Garnier Fructis which doesn't do much but it sorta, kinda helps? It only really gives me a little shine. It's been the only thing that's really helped but it seems to tangle my hair more. I've tried a bunch of different versions of these shampoo's and conditioners but nothing seems to be really helping. So please someone give me some product to try, or something to use on my hair to restore it back to health because I can't stand looking at/dealing with it anymore.
  2. Senior Member
    You should do a deep conditioning treatment once a week or every two weeks. I've heard great things about Aussies 3 minute miracle

Edit: AND get regular trims! Big help.
  3. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Switch to a sulfate free shampoo and conditioner line. I have been using coconut oil on my hair. Finger comb it through dirty hair (I only wash every three days or so) and then comb through with a wide tooth comb. Cover with a plastic cap and then wrap head in a towel for thirty minutes to an hour. Using very warm (not hot) shampoo the oil out and then condition. Rinse conditioner with cool water (I use as cold as I can stand). Use a towel, wrapped around your hair again to dry... Never vigorously rub it. If you can get by not using a blow dryer for a couple of weeks, this helps too.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  4. "You'll stay with me? Until the very end" HP VII
    "You'll stay with me? Until the very end" HP VII
    I would say that getting regular trims is a great way to get it back to looking healthy, but it won't necessarily make it healthy if that makes sense. Essentially trimming it will help get rid of the damage and prevent further damage.

Find a good hair mask/deep conditioning treatment. Aussie 3 Minute Miracle, Macadamia Nut Oil Deep Repair Mask, Loreal Damage Erasing Balm, there are a lot of good ones out there. However, make sure to look at the ingredients and try to avoid products with Keratin or proteins, these can actually damage your hair more.

Use some sort of leave in conditioner, serum, or oil after you wash your hair. I like the Healthy Sexy Hair Tri Wheat leave in conditioner, Bumble and Bumble Tonic Lotion, It's a Ten leave in conditioner, Macadamia nut Oil, Morocan Argan oil, etc. Using these types of products will help a lot in helping to help nourish your hair and make it look healthier.

Also take biotin, it helps with strengthening hair and nails.
  5. Formerly BooBoo_Bear
    Formerly BooBoo_Bear
    I started using Organix repairing awapuhi ginger condition (same people who make the Morracan Oil stuff...same area in the aisle). It worked miracles the first time I used it. My coworkers were blown away. Its actually too good for my hair and made it too soft, so I use it every other day and just use Suave conditioner the other days, and Suave shampoos. Its sold at Walmart and Target and all that... I want to say it was like $6 a bottle so totally affordable.
  6. Senior Member
    Coconut oil, coconut oil, and COCONUT OIL! It's a miracle worker! Make sure it's the all natural organic coconut oil. I get the Nature's Way brand. What you do is, put it on damp hair, about a table spoon or two, depending on hair length. Leave it on for about 2 hours then wash it out and do your shampoo/condition routine like normal. It will revive your hair and make it SO soft!
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    MY PRETTY HAIR IS PARCHED. Buy that!!! I can't even handle how much it's done for me.
  8. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    I third the recommendation for coconut oil. I even put small quantities on my scalp and sleep with it in overnight (I have dry, itchy, scaly scalp - especially when seasons change.)

The other thing I like is Infusium23 leave in conditioner. It makes my nails stronger too.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

id recommend grabbing one product with keratin...like amberj said too much can make your hair worse but just one product (i use the Its a 10 leaving in spray with Keratin) can def make it stronger. ive been bleaching my hair for 2 years straight and this product along with a good shampoo and conditioner have def helped my keep it healthy.
  10. Senior Member
    if you reallly wanna take care of your hair, i dont recommend drugstore products. if you're willing to spend some money go out and get the Moroccan oil repair mask and use that once a week. use a leave in conditioner as well.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast