Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Needing some help reviving damaged hair!

1. Regular Member
    Advertisements
    I use a hair mask on my hair will tea tree oil! I got it at sally's!
  2. Senior Member
    are you planning on now no longer dyeing your hair? or dyeing less? I would say start out with one haircut that takes off at least slightly more than you usually do to jump start the growing out of healthier hair. The important thing to look for when getting products is not what the product claims to do i.e. "moisturizing" "strengthening" etc but to actually look at the ingredients. Most drugstore hair products, and even high end ones, use ingredients that "fake" making your hair look nice. Like silicones in conditioners/serums/oils. These just (for lack of a better term) encase your hair for a time, smoothing it out with silicone like lamination, but not actually repairing the damage. Avoid silicones if you can. A great product for repairing conditioner is Shea Moisture. You can find it at Walgreens and other drugstores actually. They make a conditioner that is silicone free and has coconut oil, avocado oil and argan oil (which is Moroccan oil). LOVE that stuff. I also do a straight almond oil deep condition treatment once a month. Literally just a bottle of almond oil. I also use a sulfate free shampoo that has some natural ingredients, one of it being keratin. I also use a wide tooth comb when I comb out wet hair out of the shower.

ETA: silicones in the ingredients will be listed ending with "cone" like "dimethicone" is a pretty common silicone in hair products.
  3. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

This comes from someone who dyes their hair CONSTANTLY and frequently (I have to bleach and dye my roots every other month to keep up with the pink) and only gets trims twice a year. I really need to get trims more often but never get around to it.

Ok for future - use vegan or henna dyes, dyes that don't have ammonia or the chemicals in them, that is what is going to kill your hair the quickest. The dye I use I can leave in for 15 minutes or 5 hours and it's not going to hurt my hair.

Pick up a protein treatment from Sally's. This will help a lot, if your hair is sucking up moisture it needs protein. They usually come in a two step process.
    I've never tried coconut oil but I SWEAR by Argan Oil. That stuff is amazeballs. After you shower you rub some between your palms and run them through your hair. It makes it silky soft and manageable. Shampoo only every other day or every third day. I really like Ion moisture solutions, I can shampoo and be able to run my fingers through my hair without it tangling BEFORE conditioning. This is the one I like. Ion - Moisture Solutions - Ion Moisturizing Shampoo 12 oz.

Condition EVERY DAY. Use a deep conditioner at least weekly if not twice weekly. You can get the haask placenta conditioners at sallys or I think walmart even sells the packets. Look in the ethnic hair section, you will find packets of amazing conditioners. I like to put the deep conditioning mask stuff on my hair, get a towel damp and pop it in the microwave for a few seconds to heat it up. Once it's as warm as you can stand wrap it around your head. The heat will open the hair shaft and let the conditioner get in there. Now the really important part, when you rinse conditioner out rinse it with COLD water. Like as cold as you can deal with. The cold seals the shaft back closed locking in the moisture.
  4. Senior Member
    I use garnier leave in conditioner
  5. Senior Member
    if its sold in the grocery store, dont use it lol theres chemicals galore in those and it will ruin your hair if youre not careful. the only line ive found at the grocery/pharmacy stores that i will use is organix since its sulfate free and all that. it works, but my favorite is Thermafuse or Joico. I just ordered some MorrocanOil shampoo and conditioner that i plan to swap to (i keep swapping so my hair doesnt dry out from routine). I also use an Amika hair mask once a week and its done WONDERS for my hair.
    we kicked deployment #2's butt!

6. Vandelay Industries
    Vandelay Industries
    To add a suggestion, Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Renewal Oil saved my hair!
  7. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    This comes from someone who dyes their hair CONSTANTLY and frequently (I have to bleach and dye my roots every other month to keep up with the pink) and only gets trims twice a year. I really need to get trims more often but never get around to it.

Ok for future - use vegan or henna dyes, dyes that don't have ammonia or the chemicals in them, that is what is going to kill your hair the quickest. The dye I use I can leave in for 15 minutes or 5 hours and it's not going to hurt my hair.

Pick up a protein treatment from Sally's. This will help a lot, if your hair is sucking up moisture it needs protein. They usually come in a two step process.
    I've never tried coconut oil but I SWEAR by Argan Oil. That stuff is amazeballs. After you shower you rub some between your palms and run them through your hair. It makes it silky soft and manageable. Shampoo only every other day or every third day. I really like Ion moisture solutions, I can shampoo and be able to run my fingers through my hair without it tangling BEFORE conditioning. This is the one I like. Ion - Moisture Solutions - Ion Moisturizing Shampoo 12 oz.

Condition EVERY DAY. Use a deep conditioner at least weekly if not twice weekly. You can get the haask placenta conditioners at sallys or I think walmart even sells the packets. Look in the ethnic hair section, you will find packets of amazing conditioners. I like to put the deep conditioning mask stuff on my hair, get a towel damp and pop it in the microwave for a few seconds to heat it up. Once it's as warm as you can stand wrap it around your head. The heat will open the hair shaft and let the conditioner get in there. Now the really important part, when you rinse conditioner out rinse it with COLD water. Like as cold as you can deal with. The cold seals the shaft back closed locking in the moisture.
    I love argan oil. I have been dying my hair for a long time. Even though it's not in the vibrant hues that BLT is known for, it's still a decent amount of chemical processing. Argan oil after ever shampoo is a must for me.

I also tried Ion Repair Solutions: Intensive Therapy Protein Rebuilder for Weak, Damaged Hair the other day... I definitely noticed a positive difference. Additionally, do you take a multivitamin? Do you eat healthy? (i.e. whole, unprocessed foods) Do you do you drink enough water? Do you smoke? I swear my hair has never been so healthy as after I cleaned up my diet and started supplementing appropriately.

www.SnarkyFit.com
  8. Senior Member
    Wow you all are amazing! Thank you so much! I definitely have to make some trips, and do some research online for some of these products
    I don't smoke, I drink plenty of water, and my diet is okay. I eat a lot of fruit. I don't take any multivitamins... yet.

Also, after I repair my hair I'm definitely not going to be dying it anymore!
    Again, thank you everyone.
  9. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    My hair was thrashed for the same reason. I went in and got all the dead hair cut off, started fresh and went with a really good hair product. I love Keratase products. My hair is healthy, shiney and full. Used to be dry and stringy.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  10. Senior Member
    I agree with the Organix! It has worked miracles along with putting coconut oil in my hair while it's damp. I also use Matrix leave in repair, it's helped a lot too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast