Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: FDS to Alaska, pets, efmp, help

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

FDS to Alaska, pets, efmp, help

Advertisements
    I've been searching all over the forums but still haven't seen certain questions answered. Any advice or tips will also be apprectiated!

My husband is currently in AIT, so we're both very new at this. Most information he's gotten has been through my research.
    We're suppose to go to Alaska in June, our son will be about 3 months old. Will it be an issue getting him cleared with EFMP since he's a newborn?
    Also the baby isnt on his insurance yet because the birth certificate barely became available.
    And where do we go for the EFMP? I don't live anywhere near an army base, just an air force one.
    We're both perfectly healthy so those are my only concerns.

We have two cats, will we be able to live on post? My husband plans on going ahead of us to secure housing, will the army still move us if he does so?
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffany_reina View Post
    I've been searching all over the forums but still haven't seen certain questions answered. Any advice or tips will also be apprectiated!

My husband is currently in AIT, so we're both very new at this. Most information he's gotten has been through my research.
    We're suppose to go to Alaska in June, our son will be about 3 months old. Will it be an issue getting him cleared with EFMP since he's a newborn?
    Also the baby isnt on his insurance yet because the birth certificate barely became available.
    And where do we go for the EFMP? I don't live anywhere near an army base, just an air force one.
    We're both perfectly healthy so those are my only concerns.

We have two cats, will we be able to live on post? My husband plans on going ahead of us to secure housing, will the army still move us if he does so?
    Start researching the OCONUS threads. Even though Alaska is in the United States it's still considered an overseas duty station. You can be seen at any base, his branch doesn't matter. Most base housing has a two pet limit so your cats should be fine. There are requirements for sending pets to OCONUS duty stations, and you can find that info in old threads on this forum. Your husband's going to be responsible for scheduling your move. He can go ahead to look for off base housing. But since you said he's going to get base housing then he just gets what they assign him. You should call that base now to see how you can get on the list because most of them have a wait time.

3. Senior Member
    You can do the overseas clearance from any base. What base in Alaska are you going to? We're at JBER in Anchorage. They medically clear babies all the time. I know there's tons of base housing here and all allow 2 pets (with a waiver for a 3rd).
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    We're going to fort wainwright. I've been researching these forums like crazy. I wish there was some kind of checklist. My husband is being no help.
    I'm trying to find exactly what I need to take my pets but I can't find a straight answer? Plus a lot of the threads are old, like 10 years and older so I'm not sure how accurate they are.