Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: EFMP overseas screening question for a dependent

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

EFMP overseas screening question for a dependent

Advertisements
    Hey guys

Does anyone know if having high functioning autism=Asperger's syndrome as a spouse can be an issue for command sponsorship to Europe, Japan or Korea? I neither need, nor participate in any counseling services so it's not like I would need any special treatment but is this something that I should bring up at my EFMP screening?
  2. Senior Member
    You will almost certainly have to disclose it. Assuming it is the same or similar for all branches**, there is a miles long form you have to fill out, with a million "have you ever" questions. It asks about pretty much everything. I'm ASSuming you had some treatment of some kind in the past, in which case I can't see how it wouldn't be covered by one or more of the questions.

That said, if you don't receive any treatment and haven't for some time, my best guess is that it will not be an issue at all.

**DH is Navy and I've done 3 overseas screens, and in this regard, all of them were the same.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    You will almost certainly have to disclose it. Assuming it is the same or similar for all branches**, there is a miles long form you have to fill out, with a million "have you ever" questions. It asks about pretty much everything. I'm ASSuming you had some treatment of some kind in the past, in which case I can't see how it wouldn't be covered by one or more of the questions.

That said, if you don't receive any treatment and haven't for some time, my best guess is that it will not be an issue at all.

**DH is Navy and I've done 3 overseas screens, and in this regard, all of them were the same.

Thanks!
    I started on anti-anxiety medication a few months ago but many non-autistic people take it too so I don't see how that could be held against me.
  4. Senior Member
    If you are taking anti-anxiety medicine for anxiety then that will be looked, as it would be for a non-autistic person.
  5. Senior Member
    The anxiety meds are likely to be a much bigger deal than a condition that requires no medical care. Yes, tons of people are on anxiety meds, but it is definitely something they look at going overseas. I would be much more concerned with that than with the autism.

When you are sent overseas, the military is responsible for making sure you get all the care you need. If they don't have capacity, they can't provide for you, so they carefully consider whether to send even those with relatively minor health concerns. On top of that, moving overseas is tough and stressful and really challenging, and those already dealing with mental health are far more likely to really struggle (and thus need more medical care, or have other issues). People can and do get denied for relatively minor mental health concerns. That said, plenty are approved, too. It depends on so many factors.

Do you even have orders yet? it sounds like not since you were pretty broad on the locations. Are you asking simply because he wants to try for OCONUS orders and you want to know if it will be an issue?
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski