Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: liberty restriction in Japan?

1. Senior Member

liberty restriction in Japan?

Advertisements
    dh is attempting to go active, and he was considering trying to go back to Japan. he was in sasebo before, and while he was in Guam he talked to a few people saying that liberty restrictions had gotten crazy, he said they were requiring liberty buddies for home port (very rare).
    I know when dh was there around 10 years ago they were pretty bad, including not selling alcohol.
    can anyone tell me if this is true? and if so is it just sasebo or yokosuka too?
    “There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self Reliance
  2. Senior Member
    It came down a while ago. I don't know the details exactly but I know after something happened restriction happened.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Margot31 View Post
    It came down a while ago. I don't know the details exactly but I know after something happened restriction happened.
    are we talking like the same restrictions as when dh was there (10 years ago) or from more recently? I figured with recent events there would be something. Is it jist sasebo? is there an end in sight?
  4. Senior Member
    I read something about summer 2016, are these still in place? are there new restrictions?
  5. Senior Member
    Right now, there are almost no restrictions. It depends a bit on rank, but in general there is a curfew and/or an time they have to stop drinking, but I think it's midnight or 1, and may only be off base. For some ranks, liberty buddies are requires, but no one should really be out drinking alone anyway. Basically, it's fine.

But these things get turned on and off when someone does something stupid. Restrictions were put in place when we were here in Sept 2012, and then again in 2016. They were lifted in May or June 2016, I believe, and all is fine now, but that's no guarantee they won't come back if sailors or other service members do awful, stupid stuff some day.

(This is true for Atsugi and Yoko, not 100% sure about Sasebo, but the restrictions were for the entire Japanese fleet at the time, so if Sasebo has anything, it's about a different issue and I'd be surprised.)
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Right now, there are almost no restrictions. It depends a bit on rank, but in general there is a curfew and/or an time they have to stop drinking, but I think it's midnight or 1, and may only be off base. For some ranks, liberty buddies are requires, but no one should really be out drinking alone anyway. Basically, it's fine.

But these things get turned on and off when someone does something stupid. Restrictions were put in place when we were here in Sept 2012, and then again in 2016. They were lifted in May or June 2016, I believe, and all is fine now, but that's no guarantee they won't come back if sailors or other service members do awful, stupid stuff some day.

(This is true for Atsugi and Yoko, not 100% sure about Sasebo, but the restrictions were for the entire Japanese fleet at the time, so if Sasebo has anything, it's about a different issue and I'd be surprised.)
    beautiful, thank you