Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Command sponsorship to South Korea with efmp family member

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Command sponsorship to South Korea with efmp family member

Advertisements
    Hi,
    My husband has orders to go to Daegu, South Korea in October. We turned in all the paper work. I ended up having to enroll in efmp for mental health. I'm on one medication (hasnt cha ged in 5 years) and I see a doctor 4 times a year. They put that on my efmp form that was sent over to Korea. But I'm really nervous that we might get denied. I don't know much about the medical facilities over there.
    Has anybody gotten to CS to Korea while in efmp or have any idea of what our chances might be?
    I'm trying not to stress about it, but we really want to go!
    Thanks
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Not to be the negative nancy but I would say the chances are unlikely you will be accepted. Many overseas bases are not excepting mental health patients that are actively and currently getting treated.
    I would have a plan of him going along and you staying behind.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Prepare yourself to be denied. You may not be but with Korea, a country with a tremendous suicide rate, it is a possibility that you will be denied. I myself take Zoloft for PMDD and when doing the medical portion of the EFMP they jumped on the fact that I was on Zoloft right away. I was approved as it is for PMDD but it was an immediate trigger for them.

Another thing to consider, if you do get denied, is to come non-command sponsored. You get the same benefits as command sponsored except medical care for dependents and school on base for children is on a space available basis. And space is not always available! Korean medical care is excellent (and frankly often times better than what you can get on base) but . . . BUT . . . mental health is a huge stigma here and I can not speak for any mental health care off base. To the best of my knowledge, mental health care is not really offered in country.

Daegu is a decent sized city but the base and amenities are very small. I was there once and the commissary was roughly the size of an average 7/11! And with very little selection. Same with the PX.

If nothing else, come and visit while your husband is here! This is a fabulous country and well worth a visit at the very least. I've been here for nine years (June 28 is my Korea-versary date ) and I absolutely love it here. Mountains, farmland, beaches. Wonderful people. So much to see and do and an incredible history and culture. It is also an incredibly safe country. I have not had a single moment where I felt uncomfortable or in danger.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

They want more info

Did they ask you about your medication and to explain your situation? My husband received an email today asking for my first evaluation with my pcm. I thought all of that was already sent to them with my efmp evaluation. At least it wasn't a flat out denial. I think they evaluating if my case can be treated with their behavioral health. I'm just assuming, though.
    If it doesn't work out. I'll definitely plan to visit my husband in Korea!
  5. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    It's been nine years LOL! All I remember is the doctor saying "You take Zoloft?" and I explained why.