Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: EFMP England

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

EFMP England

Advertisements
    Hello! I am an air Force vet receiving VA compensation for a stress-and-trauma related disorder secondary to MST. I haven't had therapy or meds for it and don't need to, but I'm comped for social anxiety, difficulty forming social relationships. I had been diagnosed with depression before that, but it was overturned by the next doctor (I went twice seven years ago). The depression symptoms are resolved.
    My husband is still air force. We are supposed to be going to Molesworth, where mental health facilities are non-existent except for lakenheath an hour away. The EFMP people told me that what's really important is that someone is stable, but I'm really stressed out that my husband could be sent without us anyway, leaving me behind with two toddlers for two years. What are the odds of me being denied?
  2. Senior Member
    No one can say for sure, but to be honest, I'd say there's a not-small chance you could be denied. Stability is far from everything, especially when it comes to mental health, because mental health conditions make it more likely someone will struggle with the move, the culture shock, being away from support systems, etc. It doesn't mean you *will* struggle more, but it means that from a purely statistical standpoint, you stand a greater chance of struggling, and that's what the military is trying to prevent. It's certainly worth getting the paperwork in though and seeing what happens.

That said, they will try to shuffle orders and not send him, rather than send him unaccompanied, if you are denied. It isn't always possible, and the more time they have the better (so get your paperwork submitted ASAP), but they do try. So that's the good news--if you are denied, most likely he wouldn't be sent, leaving you and the kids behind.

Also, get enrolled in EFMP. This is why the program exists, and it allows them to just not issued orders that won't work for his family (most of the time), rather than having to move things around after orders are issued when a problem is discovered. Since your condition is chronic, you really need to be in EFMP. (My husband is Navy, and I know the different branches' EFMP programs work differently.)
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    No one can say for sure, but to be honest, I'd say there's a not-small chance you could be denied. Stability is far from everything, especially when it comes to mental health, because mental health conditions make it more likely someone will struggle with the move, the culture shock, being away from support systems, etc. It doesn't mean you *will* struggle more, but it means that from a purely statistical standpoint, you stand a greater chance of struggling, and that's what the military is trying to prevent. It's certainly worth getting the paperwork in though and seeing what happens.

That said, they will try to shuffle orders and not send him, rather than send him unaccompanied, if you are denied. It isn't always possible, and the more time they have the better (so get your paperwork submitted ASAP), but they do try. So that's the good news--if you are denied, most likely he wouldn't be sent, leaving you and the kids behind.

Also, get enrolled in EFMP. This is why the program exists, and it allows them to just not issued orders that won't work for his family (most of the time), rather than having to move things around after orders are issued when a problem is discovered. Since your condition is chronic, you really need to be in EFMP. (My husband is Navy, and I know the different branches' EFMP programs work differently.)
    Well that's frustrating. How does anyone get to go with MH stuff? The problem is that we didn't get much warning, so while most of the paperwork is done, I need to get the 2972 fixed to accurately reflect my VA thing. Just waiting on doc to call me back that it's done. I'm worried we won't have enough time after they sent me because we were supposed to leave in 2.5 months. It's not the end of the world if we don't go as long as it's all of us.
  4. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettodep View Post
    Well that's frustrating. How does anyone get to go with MH stuff? The problem is that we didn't get much warning, so while most of the paperwork is done, I need to get the 2972 fixed to accurately reflect my VA thing. Just waiting on doc to call me back that it's done. I'm worried we won't have enough time after they sent me because we were supposed to leave in 2.5 months. It's not the end of the world if we don't go as long as it's all of us.
    My husband went tdy en-route and one of the guys from his class got his assignment cancelled within 3 weeks from pcsing to Guam. His daughter's medical was denied. Somehow they got the assignment back but his daughter was still medically denied. Everybody was command sponsored except his daughter. So I think that if you were to be denied, the assignment will be cancelled. I've never met a family where the AD AF(enlisted) member had to do the entire tour overseas alone because of EFMP unless he/she specified that he/she would still want the assignment and would go w/o the family.
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by karidad View Post
    My husband went tdy en-route and one of the guys from his class got his assignment cancelled within 3 weeks from pcsing to Guam. His daughter's medical was denied. Somehow they got the assignment back but his daughter was still medically denied. Everybody was command sponsored except his daughter. So I think that if you were to be denied, the assignment will be cancelled. I've never met a family where the AD AF(enlisted) member had to do the entire tour overseas alone because of EFMP unless he/she specified that he/she would still want the assignment and would go w/o the family.
    That's reassuring. I was mostly worried because we had shorter than normal notice and so will be cutting it close.
  6. Senior Member
    The AF does try to accommodate and change assignments if command sponsorship is denied. However, the Airman must take steps to let them know he is requesting a change and there is a specific timeline for when the request needs to be made. This is all spelled out in AFI 36-2110, Assignments.