Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 81

Thread: Pets and Japan

  1. Senior Member
    Heisenberg's Avatar
    Heisenberg is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    16,413
    #21
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Brif0311 View Post
    That's my biggest worry! I wouldn't even get a pet in the first place if I couldn't take them back to the states with me, which is why I'm trying to get as much info possible on the process now because I know being overseas it will make bringing a pet back here way more difficult rather than if we were just stateside
    I don't think you're gonna get the answers you're looking for here because I don't think we have any active members who have pcsed from Japan with pets. What I know however is what I already said above, that the dog will absolutely have to fly cargo regardless of size and it's expensive and can be dangerous.
  2. Senior Member
    Sabrina22LE's Avatar
    Sabrina22LE is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,394
    #22
    My dad always told me to pretend like the pet is never going to die. Pretend that if you get that dog that you will have it for your entire life because a pet is a lifetime commitment and if you aren't ready to make that commitment you shouldn't be getting a pet.

    I don't know much about moving a pet overseas, but I do know that it's a major pain and will cost a LOT of money. My cousin was planning on moving her pitbull to Korea and ended up leaving it with her dad because it was going to be an extensive process. No one was happy with her abandoning her pet though.
  3. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    germy's Avatar
    germy is offline
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    3,865

    #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Brif0311 View Post
    That's my biggest worry! I wouldn't even get a pet in the first place if I couldn't take them back to the states with me, which is why I'm trying to get as much info possible on the process now because I know being overseas it will make bringing a pet back here way more difficult rather than if we were just stateside
    I totally get that. I'd probably wait until coming back stateside to get one but it would be helpful if someone who has moved with a pet overseas could chime in with their knowledge and experience.

    <3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  4. Regular Member
    Brif0311's Avatar
    Brif0311 is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Mine: New York His: Japan
    Posts
    244
    #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    My dad always told me to pretend like the pet is never going to die. Pretend that if you get that dog that you will have it for your entire life because a pet is a lifetime commitment and if you aren't ready to make that commitment you shouldn't be getting a pet.

    I don't know much about moving a pet overseas, but I do know that it's a major pain and will cost a LOT of money. My cousin was planning on moving her pitbull to Korea and ended up leaving it with her dad because it was going to be an extensive process. No one was happy with her abandoning her pet though.
    Exactly and I wouldn't even get a pet in the first place if that is what would happen, I could never just leave it behind like that
  5. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    germy's Avatar
    germy is offline
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    3,865

    #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Brif0311 View Post
    I know we could financially handle it I was just wondering the process of bringing them back to the states once our three years is done, I want to really know the process of that before really looking into getting a pet
    No, I know! It was a general statement.

    <3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    Carolina's Avatar
    Carolina is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,641


    #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Brif0311 View Post
    I NEVER said I would leave it there. DH told me one of his sgts ended up having to leave their dog behind and find a family for it because they could not take it to their duty station. I was asking if anyone knew more info about that because I said I would NOT want that to happen, did not say that was an option of mine.

    Basically "we got a dog and didn't plan or budget for its health care and travel expenses before hand so we left it" is what that excuse actually tries to cover up. Flying pets OCONUS is expensive! I know for Hawaii it's at least $1500 and depending on the breed they won't fly during summer months (mainly applies to snub nose). There are certain criteria the animal has to meet when being in their kennel, which means often owners have to modify the largest possible kennel they can buy using wood if their dog is big (think, Shepherds, Danes). There has to be health certificates so many days before they can leave. Plus, as mentioned earlier, there may be quarantine regulations if that state/country doesn't have rabies when they first arrive.

    Bottom line: if you're going to get a dog you best be planning and budgeting for its travel expensive the day you arrive (yes, three years early) and don't get a breed that's typically on banned housing lists if you won't be owning a home at every base you live at (any type of bully). There is no excuse to ever leave an animal behind when you move; it all equates to shitty and neglectful owners
  7. Wine-o
    brahette's Avatar
    brahette is offline
    Wine-o
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    2,792
    #27
    ~Becca~


  8. Regular Member
    Brif0311's Avatar
    Brif0311 is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Mine: New York His: Japan
    Posts
    244
    #28
    Quote Originally Posted by germy View Post
    No, I know! It was a general statement.
    I know! Plus I know it will be a ton of money to bring them back as well, DH's sister and brother in law are stationed in Hawaii and have an Australian Shepard and it's going to cost them almost $2,000 to bring him back to the states, like I said I just want to make sure I get as much info as possible about it before we really start looking into it! I really appreciate the feedback!
  9. Regular Member
    Brif0311's Avatar
    Brif0311 is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Mine: New York His: Japan
    Posts
    244
    #29
    Quote Originally Posted by EverlastingLove View Post
    Basically "we got a dog and didn't plan or budget for its health care and travel expenses before hand so we left it" is what that excuse actually tries to cover up. Flying pets OCONUS is expensive! I know for Hawaii it's at least $1500 and depending on the breed they won't fly during summer months (mainly applies to snub nose). There are certain criteria the animal has to meet when being in their kennel, which means often owners have to modify the largest possible kennel they can buy using wood if their dog is big (think, Shepherds, Danes). There has to be health certificates so many days before they can leave. Plus, as mentioned earlier, there may be quarantine regulations if that state/country doesn't have rabies when they first arrive.

    Bottom line: if you're going to get a dog you best be planning and budgeting for its travel expensive the day you arrive (yes, three years early) and don't get a breed that's typically on banned housing lists if you won't be owning a home at every base you live at (any type of bully). There is no excuse to ever leave an animal behind when you move; it all equates to shitty and neglectful owners
    And I completely agree with you! Thank you for the feedback!
  10. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    germy's Avatar
    germy is offline
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    3,865

    #30
    Quote Originally Posted by brahette View Post
    Omg Becks. You're too much.

    <3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •