Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pets and Japan

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Brif0311 View Post
    I NEVER said I would leave it there. DH told me one of his sgts ended up having to leave their dog behind and find a family for it because they could not take it to their duty station. I was asking if anyone knew more info about that because I said I would NOT want that to happen, did not say that was an option of mine.
    Ok well his SGT is a piece of shit who should've never gotten a pet. You'll never be required to leave a dog behind or be told you can't take it with you. They will certainly make it more expensive to leave Japan and you might have an issue finding housing (especially large breeds or dogs considered to be aggressive) but anybody who leaves a dog behind is doing so because they don't feel like bringing it wherever.
  2. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    You literally said "I would absolutely hate to get one and then have to leave it there, it would just break my heart" should I quote you again? Finding a family, dumping it in a shelter, giving it to a friend, WHATEVER, it doesn't matter. You'd still be tearing that dog's world apart by leaving it behind and that's a really shady thing to do to a pet IMO. I have two cats, both try to fucking kill each other when I'm not home and they don't get along. One is sick with a chronic condition. But guess what, I still have both of them and have moved 4+ times with them and am preparing to do it again in a few weeks. A pet is for life. You don't just leave a family member behind.
    I would NOT do that though, I meant it is as I would hate to get a dog and then for some reason all of the sudden we wouldn't able to take it with us, I wouldn't do that. I was simply asking if anyone knew the process because I want to look into it more. If you have moved your pets from Japan back to the states, please let me know what the process is, that's all.
  3. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Ok well his SGT is a piece of shit who should've never gotten a pet. You'll never be required to leave a dog behind or be told you can't take it with you. They will certainly make it more expensive to leave Japan and you might have an issue finding housing (especially large breeds or dogs considered to be aggressive) but anybody who leaves a dog behind is doing so because they don't feel like bringing it wherever.
    That's just what I was unsure about, hearing that one of DH's SGTs had to find a new home for their dog is what freaked me out about it because I would never do that, trust me I am a HUGE animal lover and if there was any issue with not being able to take the dog back to the states with us I would never get one in the first place I just wanted to know if anyone has done it before and what the process was for them. I know housing won't be an issue for us, we have our house already and they allow pets, we live in the towers so I'm sure they probably have certain requirements on certain size/breed
  4. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

I can kinda see where you're coming from. It's like stateside some bases allow two pets and some allow four. Going from a 4 pet base to a 2 pet base is hard. Some people rehome, some buy a house off base so it doesn't matter how many they have, and some fly under the radar with their pets in housing.

I couldn't give up a pet like that. They're my babies.

**not sure what it's like going overseas, we've only lived stateside (and the whole pet thing is why we won't go overseas).**

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  5. One does not simply Ewok into Endor

We actually got one of our dogs from an Army couple who were moving to Germany and didn't want to take her with them.

6. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by germy View Post
    I can kinda see where you're coming from. It's like stateside some bases allow two pets and some allow four. Going from a 4 pet base to a 2 pet base is hard. Some people rehome, some buy a house off base so it doesn't matter how many they have, and some fly under the radar with their pets in housing.

**not sure what it's like going overseas, we've only lived stateside (and the whole pet thing is why we won't go overseas).**
    True, but she's only thinking about one dog, wifey.
  7. Regular Member

That's my biggest worry! I wouldn't even get a pet in the first place if I couldn't take them back to the states with me, which is why I'm trying to get as much info possible on the process now because I know being overseas it will make bringing a pet back here way more difficult rather than if we were just stateside
  8. One does not simply Ewok into Endor

That's why I said kinda cus the only reason she said what she did was because she just doesn't know what to expect moving overseas and having a dog. kwim?

If you want a dog and don't think you can financially take care of it (which includes paying for it to fly where you move), please don't get one.

9. Regular Member
    Yes just one, most likely a small dog too. DH wants a border collie so bad but I know if we got a big dog it would make things even more difficult to bring them back to the states
  10. Regular Member
    That's why I said kinda cus the only reason she said what she did was because she just doesn't know what to expect moving overseas and having a dog. kwim?

If you want a dog and don't think you can financially take care of it (which includes paying for it to fly where you move), please don't get one.
    I know we could financially handle it I was just wondering the process of bringing them back to the states once our three years is done, I want to really know the process of that before really looking into getting a pet
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast