Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Japan step by step?

1. Regular Member

Japan step by step?

Advertisements
    Hey everyone! DB comes home from AIT in 3 weeks! He is getting stationed in a Japan and we have been planning for a very long time to get married when he is home from AIT/before his duty station. Since we are not married yet I am not on his orders, what would the step by step be in order to get the process going so that I can get to Japan with him eventually! He is in the Army by the way, I know being stationed overseas it may be a lot harder and take a lot longer but just wondering the process.. thanks in advance!
  2. Senior Member
    Well, you won't be able to do anything until you're actually married. You can take care of medical things you will eventually need for overseas screening. Like a dental exam. Get any dental work done you may need. Get a Pap. Since he is coming on leave between duty station, he has to wait until he gets to Japan himself to get paperwork started to get command sponsorship for you. Which may or may not happen. How long are his current orders for? The military will not move dependents overseas unless the orders are for 3 years (I believe) so if they are less he will have to get them extended which they may or may not do, depending on the needs of the receiving base.

Command sponsorship may happen quickly or it may take months. Or not at all. Prepare yourself for that possibility as well.
  3. Senior Member
    You got some solid info in your other thread. For more detailed info, he should speak to his command (including his gaining command if he has that info and if his AIT advisors think it would be appropriate). Work on the medical stuff now, since that's really all you can do until you are married. He needs to talk to the Army to found out whether he applies for accompanied orders, then have you work sponsorship, or the other way around.

Also, do you have any--no matter how tiny--on going medical issues? Even things like minor, controlled asthma or some other seemingly small thing? Or any history of mental health treatment, even if it it was short term, fairly minor (minor depression, anxiety, etc.), and you are no longer being treated? To be clear, these things are in no way automatic denials, but they can come in to play.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Senior Member
    If you're not already married there is a good chance they will cut orders before and you ay have issues getting the Army to pay for you to go if that's the case. He definitely needs to talk to his command and figure out how that will work.
  5. Regular Member
    His sergeant already told him I would most likely have to pay to get myself there which I am perfectly okay with, I figured I would have to pay for my own flights and everything so I've been saving for a while I was just wondering the process but thank you! This is helpful everyone! I got a lot of good info on my other thread but I was just trying to get it all in order so it wasn't so all over the place/confusing, and I wanted to post in here to see if anyone had gone through something similar! Thank you!