Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: JBER Alaska EFMP Screening

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

JBER Alaska EFMP Screening

Advertisements
    I have orders to JBER and I'm trying to go through the whole command sponsorship process. My wife though she hasn't seen doctors for it probably has anxiety. I won't her to talk to a doctor about it, but we are worried that would make her EFMP and deny the CS. Does anyone know what disqualifies for JBER?
  2. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    And what if we just decided to bring it up after a couple of months in alaska?
  3. Senior Member
    She could lose command sponsorship if she brings it up after a few month. I would highly suggest having her see a doctor for it now and deal with it. If it gets her denied, deal with that then. The repercussions of not being truthful and them finding out after the fact could be much worse. i suggest you guys get the mental well being of your wife taken care of before you make such a drastic move.
  4. Senior Member
    Do you mean waiting to get treatment until after she's approved and you've arrived? Well it would get her there and probably not require you technically lie on any forms. But it's still a bad idea. There's a reason they don't send people with mental health concerns. Circumventing the system, even if you can do it legally, is a terribly stupid idea. What happens when you get there and the lack of daylight in the winter, and the isolation from family and all the other issues with a move to a challenging place get to be too much for her? Ask yourself only one question: What's more important: your wive's health or moving to Alaska? Assuming it's the former (and I hope it is!), then she needs to get the healthcare she needs, and right now, that care is counseling.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Do you mean waiting to get treatment until after she's approved and you've arrived? Well it would get her there and probably not require you technically lie on any forms. But it's still a bad idea. There's a reason they don't send people with mental health concerns. Circumventing the system, even if you can do it legally, is a terribly stupid idea. What happens when you get there and the lack of daylight in the winter, and the isolation from family and all the other issues with a move to a challenging place get to be too much for her? Ask yourself only one question: What's more important: your wive's health or moving to Alaska? Assuming it's the former (and I hope it is!), then she needs to get the healthcare she needs, and right now, that care is counseling.
    You are right, her health is more important to me, but her anxiety seems to stem from her family and where she grew up. In her words she said she wants to move away, so we can start our lives together somewhere away from our families.
  6. Senior Member
    For someone who has lived their whole life in one place (it sounds like that is the case), moving far away, especially to a place as different and relatively isolated as Alaska, can be an *extremely* difficult experience, even if they don't like their hometown and are chomping at the bit to get away. You really don't want her to have to manage that without the proper help. Getting some mental health care doesn't mean for sure she will be declined, and if she is, there's a good reason for it.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. Senior Member
    Unless she's seeing a doctor for it now unless she mentions it during her screening it won't be an issue. She can get treatment for it up here relatively easily if it does become an issue (and it may as we move into the gazillion hours of darkness a day). We've been here over 4 years now though and there are quite a few places to get treatment. My family anxiety disappeared when I moved 4,000 miles away. JBER is not very isolated honestly. Overall health services are pretty good here.