Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Command Sponsorship and other questions

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Command Sponsorship and other questions

Advertisements
    My husband has yet to get official orders, but from the email it looks like he wont have to report to South Korea, Camp Henry, until mid summer 2017. Granted it also says the all of this could change and nothing is set in stone.

On that note, when do we apply for the command sponsorship and get medical clearance? My DH isn't very good with asking questions and isn't sure on who he should call.. So i'm sitting here trying to figure everything out and prepare for the best and worst case scenarios. We are hoping that we all will be able to go with him and I figured if I can get everything done sooner rather then waiting until the last minute, that would be the smart way to go. '

Also does anyone have information about FCC in South Korea? I'm an FCC provider and would like to continue doing what I love if we end up being able to accompany my DH. I haven't found much information and my director is on vacation and isn't of any help to me at the moment. ANSWERED
    : They do have FCC in South Korea, and I also have the contact email for the director!

Any additional information on what we can accept would be amazing.

Not sure if this will make an difference on us being allowed to go or not, but my husband does have a daughter from a previous relationship and unless dependents can go, he wont be able to see her, and her mom makes things difficult for us, so the visitation we have wont allow for me to pick it up if he is gone. However, we do have it in place that for any over seas station we would continue our summer visits at our own expense. That being said, I'm really hoping we all can go mainly for the sake of my step daughter being able to be apart of our lives, so I'm not sure if he can put in a special request based on that or not.

I have many more questions but these are the main ones that I haven't been able to find answers too.

Thank you for all the help! I appreciate the response and I feel more prepared then before.
    Last edited by Mgiannelli89; 08-15-2016 at 12:32 PM.
  2. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

You might try this link, if you haven't already! MilitaryINSTALLATIONS - U.S. Department of Defense
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    You might try this link, if you haven't already! MilitaryINSTALLATIONS - U.S. Department of Defense
    Thank you! But it doesn't answer any questions I have, lol.

It does touch base a little about their child care program but says nothing about FCC.. I've been looking for answers for a while now and I'm still not finding anything.

**Edit: I didn't see the side options until now. I'll review them and see what I can't find.. Thank you! (sometimes re looking at things you find what you were looking for. )
  4. Senior Member
    Army command sponsorship is different than navy, but I tell everyone that one way you can prepare before you get orders is to get all your medical ducks in a row. Get current on all your shots, get up to date on dental work and cleanings, get a pap smear, etc. That way, when he does get orders, you are ready to move on everything immediately. For our first OCONUS orders, I didn't have a current pap, and it really slowed things down. I lost at least a month, with calling to get an appointment at my doc (which was 2 weeks out) and waiting for results. Then I couldn't find my childhood shot record, so I had to get a blood draw to check titers, and get any necessary shots. Thankfully, DH's orders came with plenty of time to do all that, but it was tighter than we would have liked, and had there been hang ups or issues, it could have created a problem.

So get medically ready. And get your step-daughter medically ready as well.

I don't think it would make a difference one way or the other that he has a daughter and there are visitation issues. They'll either be accompanied, or not. As I mentioned in your other thread, Korea is one of very few countries where family can go non-command sponsored, so you could always look in to that if he gets unaccompanied orders and you still want to go.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Senior Member
    Your husband's daughter will not make any difference on whether he is able to get accompanied orders or not.
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Army command sponsorship is different than navy, but I tell everyone that one way you can prepare before you get orders is to get all your medical ducks in a row. Get current on all your shots, get up to date on dental work and cleanings, get a pap smear, etc. That way, when he does get orders, you are ready to move on everything immediately. For our first OCONUS orders, I didn't have a current pap, and it really slowed things down. I lost at least a month, with calling to get an appointment at my doc (which was 2 weeks out) and waiting for results. Then I couldn't find my childhood shot record, so I had to get a blood draw to check titers, and get any necessary shots. Thankfully, DH's orders came with plenty of time to do all that, but it was tighter than we would have liked, and had there been hang ups or issues, it could have created a problem.

So get medically ready. And get your step-daughter medically ready as well.

I don't think it would make a difference one way or the other that he has a daughter and there are visitation issues. They'll either be accompanied, or not. As I mentioned in your other thread, Korea is one of very few countries where family can go non-command sponsored, so you could always look in to that if he gets unaccompanied orders and you still want to go.
    Thank you for all of that! I will get started on the medical portion. I know I'm due for a few things and I'll probably also have to get the blood draw done. As well as making time to get to my step daughter and get her medically ready and done. I did see where you said about the non-command sponsored.. I'm not entirely sure if that will be an option mainly because I still want to work but I have to live on post in order to do that unfortunately. But it's still an option! So thank you very much! I appreciate all of your information!! I feel better about being able to make the whole process simpler by getting started on things now instead of waiting for the last minute.

It was a wish I figured wouldn't matter at all. (with the stepdaughter part.) It sucks that things like that make no difference, but that's just the way it goes. Again thank you!
  7. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    command sponsorship will depend on length of tour.
    Have they stated if its an overseas 1 year remote tour? (this doesn't allow for sponsorship)

Normally, if you are married he gets accompanied orders, if after the medical clearance it is deemed you can't go, then they will change orders.

You shouldn't have to 'apply' for command sponsorship if you are married. You will get it so long as you are medically cleared, if that makes sense.

You would apply for it if you get married after orders, but if married beforehand they will 'approve' sponsorship automatically pending medical clearance.. if you are able to go.

Korea is a location that it is common to be unaccompanied.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't