Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EFMP Overseas Screening Question

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Confused EFMP Overseas Screening Question

Advertisements
    I have been diagnosed with a mental illness in the past, but I have not taken medication for it since one time briefly in 2004...12 years ago! Do I have to tell the screeners about that? I do not want my husband to be denied getting sent overseas for something I don't even have to take medication for. Thanks.
  2. Senior Member
    Don't risk anything like that! Just tell them to be safe!
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Yeah thats what I am afraid of. EFMP is supposed to help people, but how does it help when your spouse is affected by something like this? I don't even need to see anyone and yet this is going to restrict where we go. I feel like I am in a parallel universe.
  4. Senior Member
    Did a doctor take you off the medicine or did you take yourself off? That can make a difference. Also, did you go to counseling? Counseling is considered treatment so if you went, it will need to be listed.

EFMP helps by not sending people to places where they cannot get easy access to treatment they may need based on their past issues.
  5. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

When I did mine they only went five years back. I was honest and told them about things that had happened previous to that and they said "oh no we only have to put five years of history on the form". That could have changed, but either way, I'd be honest.
  6. Senior Member
    That long ago and you should be fine. It's within five years.
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Ok we just found out where we are going tonight! He got orders for Ramstein. That shouldn't be an issue there because they have a lot of medical facilities...right? It was when I was in Iraq while I was in the Army. I do not take medication for anything but I have talked to counselors at the VA about it over the years. It is tough to think we could get turned away for something I don't even need medicine for.
  8. Senior Member
    Yes, you need to tell them. You fill out a form that asks a zillion questions about your entire life. Others have said 5 years, but my experience all three times was that they wanted life history. I literally had to include a broken wrist when I fell on the playground at age 7. Lying on the form could be a huge, huge, huge issue. Don't do it. I have anxiety, was on meds for about a year, and have been approved 3 times for overseas moves, so it is by no means a death sentence for your OCONUS hopes. They do seem to be cracking down more, and it probably also depends on the diagnosis and the meds, as well as the location and branch of service. But it isn't like any meds every will always mean you aren't approved.

Quote Originally Posted by kkoloj View Post
    Yeah thats what I am afraid of. EFMP is supposed to help people, but how does it help when your spouse is affected by something like this? I don't even need to see anyone and yet this is going to restrict where we go. I feel like I am in a parallel universe.
    People often say things like this, and it generally means they don't understand the program. It's all about numbers and odds, because it has to be. They don't know you and can't make an informed decision about you specifically. All they know is what the odds tell them, and that is that people who have struggled with mental health in the past are far, far more likely to struggle with the transition overseas, which can be extremely difficult for anyone. So they don't want to put omeone in that position if they are more likely to have a really difficult time. And on top of that, they don't want to put you somewhere where they won't be able to provide the care you need in a timely manner.

Having a lot of medical facilities doesn't really matter. Ramstein has a lot of facilities because they treat a lot of people. They need to make sure they have capacity to treat all the service members first. And then the family members that have problems that inevitably come up sometimes. By sending someone they know will need care, or who is mooch more likely to need care, they risk straining the system.

Again, needing to talk to someone occasionally isn't a sure denial, and how much and how recently plays in to that. But it can be a factor. Think of it this way. You can't really go out in town to talk to someone as therapy via a language barrier would be pretty awful. And what happens if the hospital is full, treating people returning from Syria and Iraq who have PTSD, and you really need to talk to someone? If the military sends you, they are obligated and committed to providing what you need. If that situation came up, everyone would be up in arms that someone in crisis needed help and couldn't get it. So while not getting to go to a cool place sucks, it is by far the lessor of evils.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    The crazy thing is that I grew up in Germany and was stationed there in the Army...but now there would be a problem? That does not make sense. I lived there for 12 years. Living there is not going to cause me personally any anxiety, but I can see how that would happen to someone else. This should be determined on a case by case basis not a blanket for everyone. I feel like if I am not on medication and haven't been on medication then it should be my choice if I want to enroll. Anyone anytime can have a breakdown or require mental health treatment, so then lets just not send anyone over there. Sorry, I am just really frustrated with the thought of being denied and not knowing what is going to happen next.
  10. Senior Member
    This should be determined on a case by case basis not a blanket for everyone. I feel like if I am not on medication and haven't been on medication then it should be my choice if I want to enroll. Anyone anytime can have a breakdown or require mental health treatment, so then lets just not send anyone over there. Sorry, I am just really frustrated with the thought of being denied and not knowing what is going to happen next.
    It is determined on a case by case basis and medicine is not the only treatment.

I have talked to counselors at the VA about it over the years.
    is treatment too. They need to be sure they can provide you someone to talk to if you need to talk. Those who have had a breakdown or required mental health treatment in the past are more apt to need it in the future, especially when facing difficulties and being in a different culture.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast