Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EFMP Overseas Screening Question

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    It is determined on a case by case basis and medicine is not the only treatment.

is treatment too. They need to be sure they can provide you someone to talk to if you need to talk. Those who have had a breakdown or required mental health treatment in the past are more apt to need it in the future, especially when facing difficulties and being in a different culture.
    True for others but I would not be facing difficulties with a different culture since I grew up over there and was stationed there when I was in the Army. Would they take that into account if that is their main concern?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by kkoloj View Post
    True for others but I would not be facing difficulties with a different culture since I grew up over there and was stationed there when I was in the Army. Would they take that into account if that is their main concern?
    There is a different between growing up and an adult. Those two can't even be mixed.

What it goes on is there the services there they might need to give you. Yes, Ramstein has a lot; but, it depends on how full they are and what is needed. The people stationed there will need the care first. If there is room, they will send you, if not, you don't go. If should be based on 5 years; but, don't lie to them. If found out later, it doesn't look good.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thanks for the advice I am just going to be honest about my 12 year old past and hope for understanding. Thanks again.
  4. Senior Member
    When was the last time you went to the VA and spoke with the counselors?
  5. Senior Member
    Has it been 12 years since you were on meds, or 12 years since you got counseling? If it's been 12 years for either, I'd think you have very little to be worried about.

Quote Originally Posted by kkoloj View Post
    The crazy thing is that I grew up in Germany and was stationed there in the Army...but now there would be a problem? That does not make sense. I lived there for 12 years. Living there is not going to cause me personally any anxiety, but I can see how that would happen to someone else. This should be determined on a case by case basis not a blanket for everyone. I feel like if I am not on medication and haven't been on medication then it should be my choice if I want to enroll. Anyone anytime can have a breakdown or require mental health treatment, so then lets just not send anyone over there. Sorry, I am just really frustrated with the thought of being denied and not knowing what is going to happen next.
    The problem is that if the military send you, they are obligated to get you any and all care you need, in a timely manner. So it isn't just about you picking and choosing, because there is an obligation created by the military if you go. And they need to make sure that they can meet that responsibility, and that they can do it in a timely and fiscally responsible way.

Living in a place as a kid is so, so unlike living there as an adult. I love living overseas, but it can be extremely difficult, and that's probably only going to get worse with the way the world is going. As a kid, you are shielded from a lot of the difficulties of living in a place.

I do hope this works out for you and that you get to go and have an awesome, relatively easy experience in Germany.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Smile

It was 12 year for both. I am sorry I think I did not communicate effectively in previous post. I was there as a young adult and also as an adult while I was a member of the military in the Army...so until I was 24 years old. I live there for over 10 years from the age of 11 to 24 off and on. I did live a couple of places in between. Update: I talked with my PCM about it and they have my full medical records since I have only ever gone to military hospitals and I got the all clear to go. They are concerned about the last 5 years only like *Stephanie* said. Thanks again for everyone's help and advice.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12