Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Anyone who has been to Hickam?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Anyone who has been to Hickam?

Advertisements
    My husband is doing an AT at hickam. Originally he was suppose to share a rental car with someone from his unit, but it ended up not happening. So now he is in Hawaii, and stranded at his room during down time.
    He is staying near the officers club. Anyone know of anything with in walking distance that he can go do or see? He is bored out of his mind, poor man.

Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. Senior Member

This is the link for the MWR (Morale, Welfare, Recreation) website for the Joint Base. I'm not incredibly familiar with that base other than how to get to the beach, the commissary area, and the housing where my friend lived. But they do have a lot to offer... movies, bowling, day trips, etc.

Great Life Hawaii
  3. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    The bus system on Oahu is pretty good, I'd see if that's an option. Looks like the Route 19 swings through Hickham

http://www.thebus.org/route/Maps/rm8-19-20.pdf

TheBus - Routes & Timetables
    ~Becca~

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I live on Hickam. The base itself isn't huge, but there isn't a ton to do directly on base. There's a bowling alley, movie theatre, couple gyms/pools, and beaches. However, there are bus routes that go straight through base and head down town to Waikiki where there is a lot to do if he's a people person. It's also the tourist trap of Oahu lol. Restaurants, beaches, bars, etc. MWR is also on base so he can rent gear (paddle/surf boards, snorkel/scuba stuff, etc)

If he's trying to make the best of Oahu I'd definitely still try and rent a car, even for just the weekends. I personally get off base and head to north shore, Hawaii Kai, or the Kailua area almost every day I'm off work. If you have any additional questions don't hesitate to ask; I'm very familiar with Oahu.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

We just can't afford a car rental. That's why he was hoping to share with some of the guys. But.. oh well.

Thank you for the responses!
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tremblingturtle View Post
    We just can't afford a car rental. That's why he was hoping to share with some of the guys. But.. oh well.

He can go to the beach and Sam Choys for drinks! There is also a few places to eat at the PX there
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by tremblingturtle View Post

I'd definitely recommend the bus then! They go all over this island and it's much better than staying on base. He can spend a day anywhere his heart desires, really.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by EverlastingLove View Post
    I'd definitely recommend the bus then! They go all over this island and it's much better than staying on base. He can spend a day anywhere his heart desires, really.
    For sure! I rode the bus all over Oahu when I lived there! OP how much longer is he there?
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by *Emma* View Post
    For sure! I rode the bus all over Oahu when I lived there! OP how much longer is he there?
    He will be there until either the 17th or 18th. Depends on when the flight crew is wanting to leave

He finally gave in and walked to the bx last night. He looked into a rental car for this weekend, but it was like 300 dollars, and we just cant do that right now