Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: PCSing to Europe, newly wed, need advice

1. Regular Member

PCSing to Europe, newly wed, need advice

Advertisements
    Hey all!

Havnt been on in a while. Last time I was on I was preparing to surprise my SO at homecoming from a deployment in Afghanistan and now we are newly wed, I've been enrolled and the whole Shabang has begun!

Gosh, all the paperwork, the last minute changes from command, gets pretty stressful. So here's an update: we were suppose to move in together in Fort Drum next month but that is no longer happening because his unit is sending him to Ranger School (would love some advice on that whole process of not being able to communicate for a while), we are suppose to have our formal wedding in December and we just found out today we will be PCSing and expected to report to Europe, most likely Italy, the day after our scheduled wedding

Super stressed out, could use all the advice I can get on PCSing to the Europe bases, specifically Italy or Germany airborne units.

Anyone travel overseas and brought their pet? Need advice on that too because I don't want to leave my cat behind! Lol he's my best buddy let me tell you

Thanks for chiming in guys and can't wait to hear back from you all.
  2. Regular Member

PCS to Europe (Italy or Germany Airborne), newly wed, need advice

Hey all!

Havnt been on in a while. Last time I was on I was preparing to surprise my SO at homecoming from a deployment in Afghanistan and now we are newly wed, I've been enrolled and the whole Shabang has begun!

Gosh, all the paperwork, the last minute changes from command, gets pretty stressful. So here's an update: we were suppose to move in together in Fort Drum next month but that is no longer happening because his unit is sending him to Ranger School (would love some advice on that whole process of not being able to communicate for a while), we are suppose to have our formal wedding in December and we just found out today we will be PCSing and expected to report to Europe, most likely Italy, the day after our scheduled wedding

Super stressed out, could use all the advice I can get on PCSing to the Europe bases, specifically Italy or Germany airborne units.

Anyone travel overseas and brought their pet? Need advice on that too because I don't want to leave my cat behind! Lol he's my best buddy let me tell you

Thanks for chiming in guys and can't wait to hear back from you all.
  3. Moderator

Hi there

I merged your duplicate threads, as it is against TOS to post the same thread in multiple sections of the forum. Just wanted to let you know. I hope you find what you're after- I have never been OCONUS but I know we have folks here who can give you great info. Congrats on your marriage!
  4. Regular Member
    I know I loved Italy, theoretically. I didn't have a whole lot of time to participate in seeing the country, but that was because I was either preparing to deploy or returning home. I don't really have a frame of reference to compare Airborne and non-Airborne units. I don't think it will matter too much from your perspective, but I may be wrong. The biggest difference (off the top of my head), is the jumps. Hahaha. That sounds absurdly dumb. But really, that is the most obvious thing that I know units that aren't airborne don't do.
    As for Ranger school, think no contact. It's pretty straight forward. If he gets recycled it'll be longer, if he doesn't, it'll be shorter. It's grueling. Has he gone to Airborne school yet?
  5. Senior Member
    We loved both for different reasons. Germany was a lot more central if you plan to travel a ton. Both offer cheap flights through Ryan Air. Both offer lots of culture. Italy had the most amazing food ever. We ate out a ton because there were so many options. My husband is Air Force though so I'm sure deployments etc are different.
  6. Regular Member
    LOVED LOVED LOVED Ryan Air!!
  7. Senior Member

I haven't been to Italy (it's a possibility for us this coming PCS) and from what I understand about PCSing with animals is that you are responsible for paying for their travel on the flights and for any quarantine costs. I did a quick search because I could not think of the word quarantine and found this site which might be helpful. Pet Travel International | Travel Abroad with Pets | Pet Friendly Travel
  8. Regular Member
    Hey guys! Sorry it took me so long to respond back! Thank you for all your info. We got Italy btw! But we may or may not end up going because he's now going to selection soon.