Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Overseas to overseas PCS - TDY enroute

1. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman

Overseas to overseas PCS - TDY enroute

Advertisements
    We are in England pcsing to Guam. We just found out that hubby needs to go to GA for training for 8 weeks. We also have COT travel, which we have no idea if we should just defer it or what not.

We are trying to figure out what's the best thing to do for my and our kids while he goes TDY enroute. I do not want to stay with my husband's family for 3 weeks. My family lives overseas. We asked the guy who book air tickets and he said its complicated and they won't pay for him to go to VA(his HOR) or something like that. Anyways, there's so many questions in my head that I can't get them out right now. Any insight on this? Anybody has done something like this?

We are AF.

TIA.
  2. Senior Member
    Dh's situation was a bit different, but I just went with him for his TDY en route. I stayed in the hotel with him for that time. Is that an option? What are they telling you about your plant tickets as far as where they plan to send you, and when? Are they wanting to send you directly to Guam? In our case, that wasn't an option as DH actually had an 8 mo PCS Stateside, with TDY stateside en route.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Dh's situation was a bit different, but I just went with him for his TDY en route. I stayed in the hotel with him for that time. Is that an option? What are they telling you about your plant tickets as far as where they plan to send you, and when? Are they wanting to send you directly to Guam? In our case, that wasn't an option as DH actually had an 8 mo PCS Stateside, with TDY stateside en route.
    There is nothing in writing or whatsoever what to do with the dependents while he goes tdy. The ticket guy said they won't pay for hubby to go back up to VA from the TDY location, he also said they don't reimburse us for personally procured airfare if it's PCSing overseas. He added that its a real complex case.

Hubby is going to some communications combat training thing. He doesn't know yet what exactly he'd be doing there if he has to stay in a tent or a dorm or what.

We talked about taking COT to VA (UK to VA) then renting a car and drive down to GA all together then drive back to VA to fly to Guam. However, its looking like they won't pay for the airfare for hubby from VA to Guam. And they won't pay for my tkt from ATL to Guam. Or at least for now that's how we understand it.

Another option we were looking at is I fly from DC to Tokyo and stay with my family. Then go to Guam when hubby's done with the training. I don't mind doing this one but I'll have to fly with my very active toddler and a 6 yr old which I've decided I can and will manage it. BUT the guy just said they wont reimburse us for this.

I googled this and so many forums have similar situations and basically nothing in writing about dependents. =(
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Can you keep us post on your situation and the outcome? I have almost the same situation and will love to have a reference.

Thanks
    Jany41ged
  5. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    Quote Originally Posted by jany41ged View Post
    Can you keep us post on your situation and the outcome? I have almost the same situation and will love to have a reference.

Thanks
    Jany41ged
    Hi! We've decided the kids and I will go with the hubby to GA for training. Our COT leave is in VA so it isn't too far. We are renting a car. Luckily, hubby is staying off base hotel so that's taken care of. We are paying out of pocket for car rental and we will get reimburse whatever amount that they were gonna spend on him going from VA to GA.

We will drive back up to VA and then fly from there to Guam.

Are you guys taking cot leave? where are u pcsing to and where is ur hubby getting tdy at? Hope u find the best way for ur family. It was stressful planning this move.
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by karidad View Post
    Hi! We've decided the kids and I will go with the hubby to GA for training. Our COT leave is in VA so it isn't too far. We are renting a car. Luckily, hubby is staying off base hotel so that's taken care of. We are paying out of pocket for car rental and we will get reimburse whatever amount that they were gonna spend on him going from VA to GA.

We will drive back up to VA and then fly from there to Guam.

Are you guys taking cot leave? where are u pcsing to and where is ur hubby getting tdy at? Hope u find the best way for ur family. It was stressful planning this move.
    Great!

Your TDY is on summer time? Our is on the school year. So that something I'm worry about. We finally receive the orders yesterday I'm trying to understand the orders (10 pages), but I saw a paragraph that states the COT approval. Were pcs to Europe and his TDY is also in GA. I almost didn't sleep last night with all the questions I have about the best way to make this moving smooth for the kids.

Do your husband have another set of orders for his TDY? I'm reading over the internet that even that the orders have a TDY in route information, you will need another set of orders for the TDY (info is from 2008 so maybe already change)

Thanks so much for the update
    Last edited by jany41ged; 05-09-2016 at 08:00 PM.
  7. Senior Member
    COT leave does not have to be taken en route, if that helps at all. I think you have up to a year to use it, and I am pretty sure you don't actually have to travel to your HoR, or anywhere specific, with it.

If school is an issue, you could see about staying at his old location while he trains and/or getting to the new one before him. Whether or not this is easy or possible depends on the countries, due in large part to the SOFA agreements, but I know some people who have been able to do it. One in particular was able to stay in Germany after her husband left, but I know they had to jump through a lot of hoops to make it happen.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    Quote Originally Posted by jany41ged View Post
    Great!

Your TDY is on summer time? Our is on the school year. So that something I'm worry about. We finally receive the orders yesterday I'm trying to understand the orders (10 pages), but I saw a paragraph that states the COT approval. Were pcs to Europe and his TDY is also in GA. I almost didn't sleep last night with all the questions I have about the best way to make this moving smooth for the kids.

Do your husband have another set of orders for his TDY? I'm reading over the internet that even that the orders have a TDY in route information, you will need another set of orders for the TDY (info is from 2008 so maybe already change)

Thanks so much for the update
    U can defer your COT leave. I think your husband should be able to apply for dependents remain overseas or something like that unless the sofa won't let you. We thought about deferring cot leave but the kids and I haven't been back to the states for 4 years and its summer anyways so we decided to take it. When do u pcs? Where are u located right now? Have you guys talked to ticket office? Ours was really helpful. He didn't know exactly what to do because he hasn't dealt with the same situation but he looked up info about it and he actually had us think of what we'd like to do and see if they were possible. Do you have any idea that you would like to do? Like, do you want to stay at your current base and go directly to EU or go ahead to EU or anything like that?