Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Netherlands short tour?

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Volkel is definitely not a short tour. We had friends who just had this happen with KB in Belgium, he wanted to go unaccompanied but that is automatically 2 years, not 1, 3 years accompanied is the minimum. My husband has a ton of experience with Volkel (he used to TDY there 4x a year for 4 years).
  2. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by karidad View Post
    So is it a short tour? 2 years accompanied? Or u meant regular tour and can be served unaccompanied for 2 years?
    Not a short tour its unacompanied 2yrs and accompanied 3yrs.

Short tours are Lajes, Osan, Kunsan, Diego Garcia, Incirlik and I'm pretty sure Moron is a short.
  3. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    Quote Originally Posted by *Stephanie* View Post
    Volkel is definitely not a short tour. We had friends who just had this happen with KB in Belgium, he wanted to go unaccompanied but that is automatically 2 years, not 1, 3 years accompanied is the minimum. My husband has a ton of experience with Volkel (he used to TDY there 4x a year for 4 years).
    Thanks. That clarifies it. So, if my friend's husband HYT is only less than 3 years left. Are they gonna have him do unaccompanied to Volkel? Is this one of those assisngments that its automatically unaccompanied unless he applies for it to accompanied?

I thought KB was a short tour. I have a friend here who came from KB and they were only there for 2 years. Unless, she went non-command sponsored but that's unlikely, she's from Japan. Not sure the whole story tho, maybe she's an acquired dependent or something.
  4. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
    Not a short tour its unacompanied 2yrs and accompanied 3yrs.

Short tours are Lajes, Osan, Kunsan, Diego Garcia, Incirlik and I'm pretty sure Moron is a short.
    Thank you for the info. We've been looking online and not really much info on Volkel regarding its tour length. This is sad though, my friend is overseas(she's foreign) right now for a year while her hubby is in Korea. He wasn't able to get a follow-on. I'm assuming because of his HYT. Now, they are excited that he got Netherlands(they think at least it worked out that he got an OS assignment) but if his HYT is really in Sept 2019 then the family probably have to stay in put in their home country. His rnltd for Netherlands is November 2016.

Yes, Moron is a short tour. We were there years ago.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by karidad View Post
    Thanks. That clarifies it. So, if my friend's husband HYT is only less than 3 years left. Are they gonna have him do unaccompanied to Volkel? Is this one of those assisngments that its automatically unaccompanied unless he applies for it to accompanied?

I thought KB was a short tour. I have a friend here who came from KB and they were only there for 2 years. Unless, she went non-command sponsored but that's unlikely, she's from Japan. Not sure the whole story tho, maybe she's an acquired dependent or something.
    KB isn't either. Not sure how they only did two years. My husband had to do 4 at Buechel and it was going to be 3 when he was considering applying for a job at Ghedi.

Anyways, he should probably have someone call ASPC. Could have been a mistake on their part. He technically doesn't have enough time left it sounds like for another overseas assignment. We may run into the same issue leaving Alaska because my husband will only have a little over two years left until HYT if he doesn't make rank.
  6. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    Quote Originally Posted by *Stephanie* View Post
    KB isn't either. Not sure how they only did two years. My husband had to do 4 at Buechel and it was going to be 3 when he was considering applying for a job at Ghedi.

Anyways, he should probably have someone call ASPC. Could have been a mistake on their part. He technically doesn't have enough time left it sounds like for another overseas assignment. We may run into the same issue leaving Alaska because my husband will only have a little over two years left until HYT if he doesn't make rank.
    I wanted to go to Ghedi! If we didn't get Guam last August We could have applied for Vilseck, Ramstein and Ghedi!

So your hubby did 4 years in Germany without u?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12