Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: EFMP-Alaska

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

EFMP-Alaska

Advertisements
    So my husband is getting stationed in Alaska. His report date is the middle of april and he still does not have orders. We really have no clue what to do. I have been reading that I have to get command sponsored to go there. I heard I have to get a physical and do an efmp thing. How long would it take for me to get command sponsored? Also, would there be a chance that he has to go ahead of me. He doesn't think I have to get a physical or anything.
  2. Senior Member
    This April? What branch? My husband is stationed at JBER (Anchorage). The Air Force will not even drop orders until EFMP is done and command sponsorship approved.

You can call base medical and they can point you in the right direction for sponsorship. There's a chance you may have to come after if he's reporting next month and haven't started the process. Are you planning to drive (so you can bring two cars) or fly? You will need a passport to drive through Canada.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Orders are processed 60 ish days out (could be less though.) That can't be done for the family without the EFPM stuff done. You'll need to get on the ball for that.

Without orders you normally can't set up household goods shipment, auto shipping (if applicable), most anything.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  4. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Cool, he hasn't really been told anything so we really don't know anything. It's really stressful at least for me.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rebekah193 View Post
    So my husband is getting stationed in Alaska. His report date is the middle of april and he still does not have orders. We really have no clue what to do. I have been reading that I have to get command sponsored to go there. I heard I have to get a physical and do an efmp thing. How long would it take for me to get command sponsored? Also, would there be a chance that he has to go ahead of me. He doesn't think I have to get a physical or anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by rebekah193 View Post
    Cool, he hasn't really been told anything so we really don't know anything. It's really stressful at least for me.
    So have you not gotten anything from the military in regards to getting your clearances so that you can be command sponsored? Because yes in order for the military to cover the costs of you to move there etc you have to be command sponsored. You mention EFMP so I am guessing there might be some issues with someone in the family? So the medical exams and clearances are of the most importance because they need to know who is there and what their medical issues are and IF they can provide for those issues.

But I can tell you, if you are at least an AF wife you will need a medical, mental and dental clearance. You can take care of these thing without having the paperwork by getting a dental exam by your dentist (basically no dental needs can be required), get your pap if you haven't had one in a couple years, make sure your physical health is good (or have documentation on what you are dealing with and what treatment is) and mental health as well.

BUT if he is suppose to report by April it is most odd he hasn't heard anything yet. I mean generally for overseas orders you get enough notice where you can start your clearances something like 4-6 months in advance so that you have time to fix issues if need be. We had orders to Alaska with a report date of beginning in May and I knew by Feb if I didn't get dental work done I would not be on his orders. Now short orders happen all the time where the actual orders will drop, but that is after everything else has been done. It will suck but everything for a move to AK can be done in a month. But getting the clearances should have started a few months ago and it is weird you haven't been told what to do. Are you sure the orders are accompanied?