Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overseas screening question (us army efmp italy)

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Overseas screening question (us army efmp italy)

Advertisements
    Hello, i'll try and be super quick,

What I want to know is what is the chances of getting denied for the following:

Depression (Current)
    Anxiety (Current)

Meds:

Prozac (Current)

Recommendations to EFMP by PCM

Psychologist Annually
    Family Care Practitioner Bi-Annually

What are the chances of me being denied with above information?
    I have 10 outpatient visits listed on the EFMP form, I am (if I so choose) covered under the VA as I am a disabled veteran. My wife is PCS'ing to Vicenza but I believe will be stationed at Aviano. Is there a likely chance I will be denied? And if I am denied, since I will have to move back home, will she recieve OSHA, COLA, and FSH-B, and FSA?
  2. Senior Member
    42%

In reality, no one can tell you the chances, but certainly I would not be surprised if you were denied. Coverage by the VA is irrelevant and the military is required to provide for you as a dependent, so they can't really look at outside resources since they have to give you what you need if you ask. What category EFMP are they recommending you for? Some are an automatic "no OCONUS" and for some it depends on the condition and the base facilities and capacity. (I should not that my knowledge is for Navy, not Army.)

When they deny family, they first try to find new orders so there is no separation. That's why it is in your best interest to get this screening done ASAP, as the more time they have, the better chances of being able to shit around bodies so that she doesn't go to Italy. If they can't, she will get COLA for Aviano at the w/o dep rate, family separation pay, and BAH for you back home. I believe she would not get FSH-B as I think that is for CONUS. (For *her* being stationed CONUS and you being unable to follow.) She *might* get FSH-O, but that only happens if quarters aren't available for her in Italy. If she is in housing or the barracks in Italy, that would be in lieu of FSH, I believe. They have to provide for housing for her, so it would either be by giving her a home, or by giving her the pay, IOW, but they generally try for the former as it is obviously cheaper for them to give her a room than to give her a check.

I sat in on a brief last week from an EFMP coordinator, and she said the Navy (don't know if this is all branches) is really, really cracking down on overseas screens. I know it sucks, but there is good reason for these denials. So I would be prepared for a denial in your shoes, but not completely resigned to it.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hatty1991 View Post
    And if I am denied, since I will have to move back home,
    Why would you have to move back home rather than staying where you are currently located?
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    Why would you have to move back home rather than staying where you are currently located?
    Because here where I am currently I have no support system, and no obligations, at home I would have family.
  5. Senior Member
    The Air Force will try to reassign someone if they're denied command sponsorship. I would think the same is true for the Army if possible. If they force you to live apart she would get COLA at single rate, OHA at single rate and BAH with dependents along with separation pay.
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by *Stephanie* View Post
    The Air Force will try to reassign someone if they're denied command sponsorship. I would think the same is true for the Army if possible. If they force you to live apart she would get COLA at single rate, OHA at single rate and BAH with dependents along with separation pay.
    Worst part is of course, I really wish we could go together obviously, but even if we can't I do not want her to get reassigned conus, because then she won't get to experience italy. I have family in europe so it does not bother me as much to not be able to see, more along the lines of not being with my wife.
  7. Senior Member
    Because here where I am currently I have no support system, and no obligations, at home I would have family.
    Just be prepared for the Army not to see it the same way and expect you to just stay where you are located. Meaning they might not pay to move you and the BAH your spouse receives may stay at the rate for her current location.
  8. Senior Member
    Worst part is of course, I really wish we could go together obviously, but even if we can't I do not want her to get reassigned conus, because then she won't get to experience italy. I have family in europe so it does not bother me as much to not be able to see, more along the lines of not being with my wife.
    She may not be given a choice. They like to keep families together when possible, as there are often more problems when they don't, and it is more expensive for them to send a separated family than one where the family can go. She can discuss it with her detailer (or whatever the Army calls it) if you do get denied (and again, you might not), but it might not be up to her. Just be prepared for that.

Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    Just be prepared for the Army not to see it the same way and expect you to just stay where you are located. Meaning they might not pay to move you and the BAH your spouse receives may stay at the rate for her current location.
    And also be aware of this. They may not pay to move you because from the Army's perspective, a move from your current location is entirely optional and your choice. That doesn't mean you can't move anyway, but you may have to pay for that move, and the BAH might not work out in your favor. Also, when it comes time to join her after Italy, if it is more expensive to move you from wherever you've gone than it would be from your old location, you may have to cover those costs. IOW, if you are in CA and move to NY, and her next duty station is in Nevada, they will only cover the costs of CA to NV, not NY to NV.

All of this is a bit premature as you haven't yet been denied and may not be, but if you are considering options, it makes sense to be aware of these things. And whatever some tells you, whether it is that they will pay or they won't, ask them to show you in the JTR exactly what part applies. Because even if someone says the Army will pay for X and you are entitled to Y, if they are wrong and the JTR says differently, the JTR wins.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Senior Member
    Forgot to mention that instead of single OHA depending on rank etc she may have to live on base making traveling to see her less convenient.
  10. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you everyone, it sorta clarifies it but I guess ultimately I won't know until I get approved or denied.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast