Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Overseas Screening Question

1. NW7
    Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Overseas Screening Question

Advertisements
    Hello!

My husband received orders to Italy and I have to get an overseas screening done. I've been hospitalized over 10 years ago due to depression, but I have not been hospitalized since then because of it and I don't take any medications and haven't taken any medication since then. My ex-husband enrolled me in EFMP during that time and I'm worried that it will disqualify us from going to Italy. Would the military have my medical records from over 10 years ago and would being in EFMP and having been hospitalized for depression over 10 years ago disqualify us from going to Italy?

Thank you for any feedback.
    Last edited by NW7; 01-10-2016 at 10:20 PM.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    It might and it might not. It really all depends on the medical board. I know that is a vague answer; but, it depends on the gaining base.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Whether they have them or not, whether you know whether they have them or not, you do not want to lie to them. ie, if the application asks whether you have ever been diagnosed or hospitalized, you tell the truth.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  4. Senior Member
    I *think* the form (Navy; I don't know if they all use the same form) asked about *any* hospitalizations, ever. So you will have to tell them about it, but that doesn't mean you will fail the screen. Are you currently on (or have you been on any time since 10 years ago) meds for mental health? Even then, it might not be a deal killer. I was approved for a overseas twice, the first time with a fairly recent (ending about one year prior ) history of anxiety meds (which I was on for less than a year, IIRC). If all this is 10 years ago and you've had zero issues since then, I wouldn't be super concerned, but it is a possibility. You might look in to the requirements to get taken out of EFMP, to see if you can do that.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. NW7
    Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you for everyone's response. Just to clarify, I was planning on being upfront with them from the very beginning. No, I'm currently not on any medications for mental health or anything at all. Thank you again for everyone's response.
  6. Regular Member
    Hi! I'd be interested in knowing the result! did you get approved?
  7. Regular Member
    keep in mind EFMP's job is to just make sure if you have any medical concerns that the army will be able to provide it for you at your new duty station. The choice is ultimately up to your nurse who screens you but I imagine that if you have been in the clear for over 5 years then it shouldn't be an issue. My nurse only had to look at the past 2 years to see that I had been clear of any serious medical treatment and such. When you go for your screening don't be afraid to ask questions, they will most likely have a more accurate answer then we do.

Goodluck
  8. Regular Member
    Oh! and btw me and DH are also heading over to Italy at the end of the year so keep in touch with anything Vicenza related.