Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MCBH Kbay housing issues

1. Regular Member

MCBH Kbay housing issues

Advertisements
    So my husband is up for new orders and looking into Kbay. I was doing some research and found there are some problems in the housing with the soil.

Has anyone had issues with this soil issue? Is base housing safe? Whats the deal? Have they solved the issue? I just want to make sure if we go and go with base housing we won't be having any problems.
  2. Senior Member
    What type of issues are you talking about?

We lived in that base housing 15 years ago and never had any issues. And we lived in the housing that got torn down. The soil there is no different than any other part of the island, just that it rains more on that side of the island than the other side... So the ground will be moist
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot do!
  3. Senior Member

I never lived on that base but lived in Hawaii since I was a kid and never heard of anything wrong with housing on that base.
  4. Regular Member
    Marine families in Hawaii worry soil under base housing may be toxic | Marine Corps Times | marinecorpstimes.com

This was written over a year ago and I get that....but as I kept digging about this issue seems to be a problem that is still going on. Its a big concern for my husband if there is something that is going on and where it is in base housing.
  5. Senior Member
    Can you live off base? There are plenty of places to live within Kaneohe that don't have the problem and are close enough to drive. This island is so small I'm sure you can live anywhere and drive and it wouldn't be a problem.
  6. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tofuface View Post
    Can you live off base? There are plenty of places to live within Kaneohe that don't have the problem and are close enough to drive. This island is so small I'm sure you can live anywhere and drive and it wouldn't be a problem.
    We were really considering on base because finding a place that takes a dog seems to be much harder this time.
  7. Senior Member
    Most single family homes in ewa beach, Waipio, mililani, kapolei, or Hawaii Kai take dogs. Apartments are probably harder. I know the island is small and expensive. Good luck in your search.
  8. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tofuface View Post
    Most single family homes in ewa beach, Waipio, mililani, kapolei, or Hawaii Kai take dogs. Apartments are probably harder. I know the island is small and expensive. Good luck in your search.
    Looking at the map and all most those places are on the other side of where he will be. He doesn't want a huge commute. Hawaii Kai is one area to consider but when I have done a search there isn't much who will allow dogs, but we have time to keep looking in that area. My husband hasn't even gotten orders yet he has to wait for a board to come out but he told command Hawaii is his number 1 right now.
  9. Senior Member
    I lived in almost all those areas and Hawaii Kai definitely allows dogs for the most part. but that was four years ago. Maybe it's different now and maybe because you're renting it's different. In my opinion no where here is a huge commute. Anything on the other side of the island takes 30 mins. Unless there is traffic. Even so there is the new highway to Kaneohe now. And if he works early in the morning he will get there in no time. The "other side" of the island is only like 30 miles away.
  10. Regular Member
    30 Min is still too much time for my husband. He is used to short commutes like right now we literally live right outside one of the gates and its not even 12 min door to door and that is in rush hour. At our old base it was 15 min door to door. He might be going to Hawaii for work here in the next 3 months so I told him while out there he can take a look and see what its all about and decide if he is going to keep Hawaii has his number 1.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast