Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: EFMP screening for Alaska

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

EFMP screening for Alaska

Advertisements
    My husband just received his assignment for Alaska. I know we have to do a screening but Im confused of how detailed it is. We have 4 children and none of us are on EFMP. However, I have had situational anxiety in the past. I am not taking meds or seeking treatment but it is in my records that I have/had anxiety. I have spoken to a counselor a time or two and always released with a good report. One of our children is also in the process of possibly getting an IEP for speech. He is in 2nd grade. How likely are these two issues going to deny us from going? And advice or opinions greatly appreciated. Thank you!
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetchksgrl View Post
    My husband just received his assignment for Alaska. I know we have to do a screening but Im confused of how detailed it is. We have 4 children and none of us are on EFMP. However, I have had situational anxiety in the past. I am not taking meds or seeking treatment but it is in my records that I have/had anxiety. I have spoken to a counselor a time or two and always released with a good report. One of our children is also in the process of possibly getting an IEP for speech. He is in 2nd grade. How likely are these two issues going to deny us from going? And advice or opinions greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    Going to be honest. Your anxiety could get you denied. They do check for mental health to give clearance and command sponsorship. I know you said you don't take meds and you don't see anyone, but you have spoken to a therapist in the past if I understand right. Now it does not mean automatically you will get denied but they will look and see what caused your anxiety and see if that has any likiehood for causing issues while in AK and if so can they deal with them.

Now your child's IEP should not be an issue because the kids go to public schools and they deal with those often. But again, anything is possible, but unlikely for speech.

I hope I didn't get your hopes down. Just go through all the process and hope for the best. Good luck. Not sure which base you are suppose to move to but Alaska is AMAZING!
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    They are going to go through your records and look to see if there isn't anything that can be treated up there. That could be something as anxiety. They are doing what is best for them and for you too.

An IEP shouldn't make a difference. That is at a school district level.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  4. Senior Member
    I know for Japan as long as you aren't on medication and you have been cleared by a therapist they will approve you, but I know everywhere is different. I hope it works out for you.