Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sasebo Japan/ Souda Bay Greece?

1. Senior Member

Sasebo Japan/ Souda Bay Greece?

Advertisements
    Hi guys. I'm just curious if anyone has been stationed in Sasebo? My dh may have to take orders to the USS Essex there...well, he has to if we want to go with him. I was just wondering what it's like for family members. We have 3 children (almost 4-due next month) and I am feeling stressed about being so far from my family when my dh will more than likely be forward deployed a lot.

HE can also take a one year unaccompanied to Greece and we thought about going and living there too, but we would have to live out on the economy and I know nothing about it there....

Anything at all you know would be a welcomed blessing!! Thanks soo much!
  2. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    Quote Originally Posted by Inshockmom View Post
    Hi guys. I'm just curious if anyone has been stationed in Sasebo? My dh may have to take orders to the USS Essex there...well, he has to if we want to go with him. I was just wondering what it's like for family members. We have 3 children (almost 4-due next month) and I am feeling stressed about being so far from my family when my dh will more than likely be forward deployed a lot.

HE can also take a one year unaccompanied to Greece and we thought about going and living there too, but we would have to live out on the economy and I know nothing about it there....

Anything at all you know would be a welcomed blessing!! Thanks soo much!
    I've lived in Japan but not Sasebo or not even near it, never been in that area. Japan gets good COLA so money wise it's all good. Cars are cheap too, so no need to spend on car payments. There are many people stationed there that love it. It is very safe as well. Many guys joke around that its safer off than on base and it probably is.

Japan is my 2nd home country so I can't really say from a non-local perspective. My dh LOVES Japan and he wants to go back so badly and even retire there in the future.

Greece, I didn't know that its a remote tour for Navy. My dh had an opening for him this last assignment listing but I thought it was only remote for him because he's AF. Are there many non-command sponsored families in Greece? I'd be nervous to go NCS if there are no other ones in the same situation. It'd be no big deal if there are no children involved.
  3. Senior Member
    It'd be really hard to go NCS to Greece due to visa regulations. You can only spend 90 days in a 180 day period there and no easy way to get a longer one. It is an AMAZING place to visit though.

Japan sounds great though. I've heard its amazing. I'd probably opt that way.
  4. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    I just looked at Navy Souda Bay web site and seems like sailors can take their families there. There are family support, schools, etc for families so I'm just guessing that (at least some) sailors can take their dependents. I'm not very familiar with Navy regulations though so I'm probably wrong.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by karidad View Post
    I just looked at Navy Souda Bay web site and seems like sailors can take their families there. There are family support, schools, etc for families so I'm just guessing that (at least some) sailors can take their dependents. I'm not very familiar with Navy regulations though so I'm probably wrong.
    Maybe its like Korea? Lot's of people go unaccompanied but there's also families there.
  6. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    Ok nevermind. Your right BubMunkey. I just checked and read some stuff on their website and its a remote tour like Korea and says "Most of the active duty billets are unaccompanied, with civilians and a few military able to bring families. As such, there is only a small population of children. "

So if thats the case, if I was the OP, I'd take Japan. I wouldn't wanna be apart for a year if I was given a choice.
  7. Senior Member

Thanks everyone. My main issue with Japan is that my mom has been ill and I worry about being gone and so far away. Also, it's more than likely my DH will spend at least half the time we're stationed there at sea. So, it boils down to what will work best for our family. We could definetly spend our summer in Greece and that would break up the year unaccompanied tour. It's so hard and we were given just a few days to decide. :sad
  8. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Hey you!! You know me. (As soon as I saw this post, I knew it had to be you!)

One of my issues with my DH talking about going overseas is, like you said, him being out to sea half the time (my DH is talking about it for his next sea billet).

I didn't realize Greece would "only" be a year (I know a year is still a long time). Honestly, I think that would be my first choice. You guys could either go there for an extended visit and then have him come home on leave or you guys could move there on your own if you really wanted to.

I know it's not an easy decision and right now is especially not an easy time to make this decision. Keeping you guys in my prayers!!
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Inshockmom View Post
    Thanks everyone. My main issue with Japan is that my mom has been ill and I worry about being gone and so far away. Also, it's more than likely my DH will spend at least half the time we're stationed there at sea. So, it boils down to what will work best for our family. We could definetly spend our summer in Greece and that would break up the year unaccompanied tour. It's so hard and we were given just a few days to decide. :sad
    When DH was in Italy I stayed 3 months there and then came home 3 months and then went back. It worked well for us, but he lived off base in a house so the accomodations were easy. Not sure if they live on base in Greece.
  10. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BubMunkeyBles View Post
    When DH was in Italy I stayed 3 months there and then came home 3 months and then went back. It worked well for us, but he lived off base in a house so the accomodations were easy. Not sure if they live on base in Greece.
    All e5 and above have to live on the economy. So if we go Greece (which I think we are) he'll get a 2 BR apt, so we can do something similiar. My oldest is starting kindy this year, so that makes it more challenging, but I think we'll do a month around the new year and then go for the summer. Then he'll be back...I just hate it all around. Sigh. I knew what to expect though. I just get tired of sharing my dh with everyone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast