Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sasebo Japan/ Souda Bay Greece?

1. Senior Member

Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by BethM View Post
    Hey you!! You know me. (As soon as I saw this post, I knew it had to be you!)

One of my issues with my DH talking about going overseas is, like you said, him being out to sea half the time (my DH is talking about it for his next sea billet).

I didn't realize Greece would "only" be a year (I know a year is still a long time). Honestly, I think that would be my first choice. You guys could either go there for an extended visit and then have him come home on leave or you guys could move there on your own if you really wanted to.

I know it's not an easy decision and right now is especially not an easy time to make this decision. Keeping you guys in my prayers!!
    Hey Beth! Yeah, we were told 2 years and then told one, so we double checked and it's only one!! I think Greece is gonna be the big decision.
  2. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    If he's gonna be on sea duty in Japan then I'd vote for Greece. Just visit the whole summer vacation and xmas and 12 months would be over. If you and the kids can move over there NCS, it'd be even better.
    Last edited by karidad; 07-22-2011 at 05:56 PM.
  3. Senior Member
    I would go accompanied to Japan over unaccompanied to Greece any day. Especially with all the unrest over there at the moment. Everyone I know who has been stationed in Sasebo loved it. We were stationed on main land Japan twice and would love to go back. The opportunities are amazing. Even though they are gone a lot on sea duty, it’s very easy to meet them in port.
  4. Senior Member

Jason's orders to Greece were revoked a few days ago (torn meniscus) anyway, we're no longer going there.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    We have friends on the Essex & they all love it! The Essex has been here for port visits which was cool!

Wishing you well on your move!
    Follow me on Instagram, if you'd like.

https://instagram.com/mrotsarbed
  6. Dinah Shore and Dean Martin fanatic!
    Dinah Shore and Dean Martin fanatic!
    Blog Entries
    I just left from Greece, I had orders there. It is beautiful! I loved all of the places that you can go visit, and you will never see anything else like it. It was quite hard finding things at first, and they drive INSANE on those bad roads. I mean it's the worst driving I've ever seen! The island is small, and the base is simply a mile long. You can stay up to 90 days at a time, but not more than that, or they will cite you with bah fraud. Simply meaning they won't pay for you to be there and pay your home expenses in the states as well. The customs guys don't mess around over there, and the vat taxes are a bit steep. Since my orders were unaccompained, my husband came to visit me and he loved Athens. There is plenty to do there, they have a hard rock cafe and kfc/mcdonalds. I would not take children there, life is so different, and hard to adjust there even at 26 years old. Consider all of the pros/cons before going to Greece. If it were just you, then I would go visit, but with child, not so much.
    William Luke Brenton is finally here!!! 29 October 2011!!!!

After such a long ride, I finally made MA2! 18 November 2011 was the day I found out!!!! This has been such an exciting year for us!!!
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Hi, I am also seeking advice- my husband will be on an anaccompanied 1-year "hardship billet" there beginning as early as June1. ( No children- 1 dog) I plan to move to / visit him there. If I wanted to stay the majority of the tour how would / could I even arrange that? How long can I stay in country? What exactly does it mean when I read "90 days out of 180"? Also, can I return via Space-A? Or need to book commercially on the way back? Thank you in advance!
    LJ
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Hi ! You seem to know ! No kids-1 service dog. How can I go "NCS" (not sure what that stands for!) or simply visit my husband- for most of his 1 year unaccompanied tour. (what does 90 out of 180 days mean exactly? ) Thanks in Advance!
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    IF as his wife I do not need to use stateside housing (BAH)- and instead just moved myself to Greece during his unaccompanied 12 - mo "hardship tour", then how long could I stay in Greece NCS?
  10. Senior Member
    LJNavyMedWife - This thread is originally from 2011. It would be best for you to start your own thread.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12