Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atsugi, Japan!!

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Atsugi, Japan!!

Advertisements
    We just found out he are headed to Atsugi later this year! For those that live there or did live there, how did you like it? Where can I look online to find the most information? We will be bringing our 11 year old daughter and 1 year old daughter. How are the schools? What about pets? Did anyone bring thier pets with them? I am SO nervous about the change. We have never lived outside of the US Mainland and I have knots in my stomach, mainly because I need more information.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cici View Post
    We just found out he are headed to Atsugi later this year! For those that live there or did live there, how did you like it? Where can I look online to find the most information? We will be bringing our 11 year old daughter and 1 year old daughter. How are the schools? What about pets? Did anyone bring thier pets with them? I am SO nervous about the change. We have never lived outside of the US Mainland and I have knots in my stomach, mainly because I need more information.
    Hi,
    We lived in Yokosuka (not far from Atsugi... Atsugi is much bigger!) until March of this year. We LOVED it. Japanese culture is very interesting and there are heaps of things to do both on and off base. There is of course the base which has a large NEX and Commisary, and off base there are options like costco that stock Kirkland and other american products. The schools at Yokosuka are pretty good, I don't have any kids , but I know alot of friends who were fairly happy with it. With military of course there is a strong theme of conservatism but i'm sure you're already used to it. Was friends with a few teachers and they're all qualified and stuff. Transport wise theres a school bus

Japan is great, fresh food is definately something you'll want to buy locally and not at the COM, Japanese vegetables are beautiful especially their peaches and strawberries. I've only been to atsugi once but its HUGE! It's mostly families. It's also close to Yokohama, which is close to Tokyo. If you have a car, Tokyo is less than an hours drive! Public transport is also FANTASTIC....
    NEVER drink and drive in Tokyo. Even if you're in the passenger seat, you will get a DUI. One drink = DUI in Japan. Friends of ours got one going home from our BBQ

Food is fantastic. It's not all raw fish and rice!! Miso soup is great. So is Ramen, Yakisoba and they have Mcdonalds :phew and KFC. Popeyes on base as well as a bunch of other fast food places.

Great places to travel and I know alot about getting around off bases and places to go... let me know if you want to know more. I know so many people who wasted their tour staying on the base the whole time. Japan is a fantastic place, get out and experience it
    Last edited by dougall; 05-21-2010 at 06:45 AM. Reason: TYPO! :)
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I definitly do not plan on staying on the base the entire 3 years. I am very excited to travel around and really get to know Japan and thier culture. I am getting more and more excited each day.

Did you bring any pets with you? We have a dog we want to bring and I dont know how much of a hassle that may be.

Also did you live on or off base? If you lived on base, was there a long wait once you got there for housing? And just how small are these homes? I have heard that I should leave alot of our oversized furniture back in the States in storage.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    I definitly do not plan on staying on the base the entire 3 years. I am very excited to travel around and really get to know Japan and thier culture. I am getting more and more excited each day.

Did you bring any pets with you? We have a dog we want to bring and I dont know how much of a hassle that may be.

Also did you live on or off base? If you lived on base, was there a long wait once you got there for housing? And just how small are these homes? I have heard that I should leave alot of our oversized furniture back in the States in storage.

We lived off base as base housing is reserved for married couples, and we didn't bring our pets. but there is a vet on all the bases. I know AF won't ship any pet + carrier weight over 150LB.

Ummm at Yokosuka there is a wait of about 4-6 months for base housing, not sure about Atsugi but I would say it would be the same. Many friends lived on base housing and eh, its not *TINY* but its not as big as houses in the US. You will probably be allocated a house/townhouse not an apartment as you have two kids depending on rank... They are like American townhouses except they usually dont' have a second bathroom, and they don't have big kitchens AT ALL. If you are allocated a japanese microwave, go to the NEX/PX and buy an American one. That was the only problem we had with our appliances and housing, was the crappy microwave and the dryer. We got the dryer fixed though.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Cici~ How exciting that you are heading to Atsugi! We go there often so we will have to meet up! I wish I had seen you when y'all were at the JRB. Did you ever meet up with my friend Jollene that I tried to put you in touch with when you were first PCSing there? They of course PCS'd awhile ago, though.
    Follow me on Instagram, if you'd like.

https://instagram.com/mrotsarbed
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Debra View Post
    Cici~ How exciting that you are heading to Atsugi! We go there often so we will have to meet up! I wish I had seen you when y'all were at the JRB. Did you ever meet up with my friend Jollene that I tried to put you in touch with when you were first PCSing there? They of course PCS'd awhile ago, though.
    Hi Debra! Where are you now? Are you in Japan!!?? How cool to be able to finally meet you!!

No, Jollene and I never met up. But we did talk over email and she did help me out alot with making some decisions about the area, housing, schools, etc.
  7. I'm a dog person.
    I'm a dog person.
    All I can say is start your pet and your passport ASAP!

This is pretty much everything you need to do for your pet

How to import your dog to Japan or other non-rabid islands | eHow.com

it's a ton of paperwork and the sooner you have your pet's microchip, rabies, FAVN the better it will be. Also make sure you get the boredetella shots and DLPH shots done so that you wont run into trouble boarding your pet at kennels.
    boop boop boop boopy boop.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by polkadotted View Post
    All I can say is start your pet and your passport ASAP!

This is pretty much everything you need to do for your pet

How to import your dog to Japan or other non-rabid islands | eHow.com

it's a ton of paperwork and the sooner you have your pet's microchip, rabies, FAVN the better it will be. Also make sure you get the boredetella shots and DLPH shots done so that you wont run into trouble boarding your pet at kennels.

I have a regular passport already. Will both of my daughters need one also? They will 11 years old and 1 years old? And I heard something about needing a different passport then just the regular traveling passport??
  9. I'm a dog person.
    I'm a dog person.
    I have a regular passport already. Will both of my daughters need one also? They will 11 years old and 1 years old? And I heard something about needing a different passport then just the regular traveling passport??
    TMO will be able to answer your questions more specifically.

The other passport is just a "government" passport (also called a 'no-fee' passport), so it can be used to travel to your destination but cannot be used for travel for pleasure/vacation.

You can use either a normal travel passport or a govt passport to get to Japan. The reason some people opt for the govt passport is because you can get them issued for free if you have orders (your DH's orders will have to have you and your kids on them for you to get the govt passport).

Also as far as schools, I personally think DoDDs schools are great (but I can't speak about Atsugi specifically). I think they are really well rounded and offer a lot of unique experiences. Also, you can take advantage of Japanese pre-schools for your little one.
    boop boop boop boopy boop.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by polkadotted View Post
    TMO will be able to answer your questions more specifically.

The other passport is just a "government" passport (also called a 'no-fee' passport), so it can be used to travel to your destination but cannot be used for travel for pleasure/vacation.

You can use either a normal travel passport or a govt passport to get to Japan. The reason some people opt for the govt passport is because you can get them issued for free if you have orders (your DH's orders will have to have you and your kids on them for you to get the govt passport).

Also as far as schools, I personally think DoDDs schools are great (but I can't speak about Atsugi specifically). I think they are really well rounded and offer a lot of unique experiences. Also, you can take advantage of Japanese pre-schools for your little one.
    Awesome thank you for your insight and advice!

What age can children start at the Japanese pre-schools? My youngest will just be turning 4 when we leave.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast