Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking Pets Overseas!!

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Advertisements
    We will be going to England in the late fall. We have a small dog (12 pounds of fluff) that has traveled under the seat with me before on a domestic flight. Does anyone know if she is still able to do that or will she have to travel another way? I've heard horror stories about little dogs in the cargo area not making it because of the cold.

Also, what steps and when do I need to start taking them to ensure she doesn't have to go in to quarantine? Does the blood test need to be sent to the UK first? Or is it a general blood test that any vet can do by themselves?
    I just don't want to mess this up and make it hard for our puppy to get there!
  2. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    We will be going to England in the late fall. We have a small dog (12 pounds of fluff) that has traveled under the seat with me before on a domestic flight. Does anyone know if she is still able to do that or will she have to travel another way? I've heard horror stories about little dogs in the cargo area not making it because of the cold.

Also, what steps and when do I need to start taking them to ensure she doesn't have to go in to quarantine? Does the blood test need to be sent to the UK first? Or is it a general blood test that any vet can do by themselves?
    I just don't want to mess this up and make it hard for our puppy to get there!
    We are also headed to England in the fall, and we're taking our Westie. We're getting everything taken care of on base and they have all the information on what needs to be done and in what order. They should be able to answer any of your questions or at least tell you where to get that information. If not, here is the link to DEFRA: Travelling with pets Defra

If you can't take your dogs on base, find a vet that is familiar with shipping dogs overseas. We took our dog to Korea with us a few years back and got him ready through a vet off base.

If you haven't already, I would jump right on this.
  3. Regular Member

Exclamation DEFRA changing travel rules...GOOD NEWS!

Thought this would be helpful for anyone coming to the UK after Jan 1, 2012. DEFRA is no longer going to require the 6 mo quarantine!

New rules mean it will be easier and cheaper to travel abroad with pets Defra News

My husband spoke to them the other day and they told us the new rule will be that pets will no longer require the blood tests. The quarantine time will be cut to 21 days after their rabies vaccine.

Unforunately, this won't go into affect until after we get there and have already quarantined our cats. But it will cut their quarantine time by a couple weeks. Great news, though, for anyone coming after us! Haha.
  4. Senior Member
    Wow, that is great news!!
  5. Loving Life in Germany!!
    Loving Life in Germany!!
    Blog Entries
    GREAT news! I am glad since we will be coming to England from Germany May 2012!

Check out my website for some super cute baby stuff...I ship everywhere !
    http://sewntellbabyboutique.weebly.com/
    Proud Wifey of His[♥]Love
  6. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Pet shipment

Quote Originally Posted by connell0618 View Post
    We are shipping our now 9 month old English Mastiff to Germany with us. She already weighs over 100 lbs, and will be bigger by the time we fly on November 8th. We had to buy a Giant 700 series crate for her for $150, and since she is too big to fly as baggage, we have to pay $1300 to ship her as cargo on a completely different airline (Delta) than the army booked us on (Lufthansa). Then once we get there it will be registration fees and $150 temperament test since she is on the DDO list in Germany. We also thought we had to pay an extra $300 to have her checked in since she is arriving 2 hours before us. But apparently it can take up to 90 minutes for the animals to be unloaded out of cargo, and then another 3-4 hours to clear them through the vet and custom at the airport, so there shouldn't be any charges! SHOULD BE FUN!

There are so many different things that have to be done for a pet to be shipped. We started getting the ball rolling on shipment info for her before we even had orders.

If anyone is moving to Germany and has any questions, please feel free to ask. There is a ton of information that the internet and sometimes the airlines don't share with you until it is too late.

Good luck, and feel free to ask any questions!
    So all my head could focus on was the costs. We only have 2 beagles. But that is crazy. Did you have to inform transportation that you were travelling with a pet, to see that it was a flight that had room. Also, I thought (and that usually gets me in trouble) that when pcsing to Germany, we fly into Ramstein. So that would be a contracted flight. That is my major hold up and frustration about the move. The pets. If ours are able to get on our flight to meet our flight to Germany on the east coast, because it is military only, does the military charge????? I got a little information on the import fees, but didn't know if being military we get a break? Thanks for having this thread.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by jungmanns View Post
    So all my head could focus on was the costs. We only have 2 beagles. But that is crazy. Did you have to inform transportation that you were travelling with a pet, to see that it was a flight that had room. Also, I thought (and that usually gets me in trouble) that when pcsing to Germany, we fly into Ramstein. So that would be a contracted flight. That is my major hold up and frustration about the move. The pets. If ours are able to get on our flight to meet our flight to Germany on the east coast, because it is military only, does the military charge????? I got a little information on the import fees, but didn't know if being military we get a break? Thanks for having this thread.

It is based on weight and size due to charge. If you are taking an AMC flight, when you get your tickets, call and get your pet's ticket also. Our two cats cost about $220 for them to fly over on AMC.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    It is based on weight and size due to charge. If you are taking an AMC flight, when you get your tickets, call and get your pet's ticket also. Our two cats cost about $220 for them to fly over on AMC.
    I agree with above. I called all the different airlines for my 2 huskies and it would be a minimum of $2,000 and just for one airline. There is another huge fee when you switch airlines.
    However For my 2 75 lbs. dogs on AMC it is $232 (116 per dog). For me they have non stop from Norfolk to Italy where we are PCSing. I also have family here in town that can take the dogs if they cannot get on my specific flight. Then they will bring them to the airport when their flight becomes available.

Check this page for those that do not want to fly AMC and need help with financing the pet move.

Assistance Application - SPCAI Here the SPCA will provide up to$2,000 per family to ship dogs. Note not everyone is approved.
  9. Regular Member
    I just wanted to post and let everyone know I work in the base vet clinic in Korea. If anyone needs me to find out the updated of what they need for overseas that I don't already know, feel free to ask.

Things change constantly. We PCSed to Korea in October last year and 2 months later they randomly changed the requirements which included a blood titer test.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12