Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Hawaii.....Anyone?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Hawaii.....Anyone?

Advertisements
    Hello everyone! Could anyone tell me anything about Hawaii? We have orders to go there and I haven't heard anything to motivate me to want to go. My main concerns are the schools. Our son is doing amazing here and I refuse to let his education take a turn because of something out of our control. My other concern is me working. As I've been reading and being told, the cost of living is very high and I don't want to be a burden to my husband if I can't find work. Its hard discussing these things with my hubby; he says its still far away, and he seems to be avoiding discussing this situation altogether. This will be the first time away from home and its scary going into the unknown, not knowing at least the basic expectations. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
  2. Senior Member

My husband was stationed there before & right after we got married. I never moved out there because he only had months left. Which base does he have orders to? If he's going to Pearl/Hickam, base housing is definitely an option and would help with the cost of living worry. I don't know anything about the schools, maybe trying to find a group or page on Facebook for spouses there would be able to help if you can't find the answer here. The positive to knowing where you're going so far out is that you can go on to USAjobs.gov and start applying for jobs there if you are planning on working and want to work a government job.

The unknown is definitely scary and I'm in the same boat as you... we just don't have orders yet (he's in his selection window now). and you'll get through this!

March 7, 2015: I married my best friend!

3. Senior Member
    See if there is any family Facebook pages for the base you are going to. Maybe those spouses can help you a little more with understanding whats going on down there. Also reach out to militaryonesource that can help with information too about hawaii.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you Buckeye14 for your support and insight! Presently, we have Schofield Army Barracks. When we had the on post housing discussion before, my hubby was adamant about not wanting to live on post. I brought up the cost of living situation and that we may not have a choice this time of I'm not working. I am registered on USAJobs (thank goodness) and hopefully I'll find a position at one of the bases. As far as the schools, there is presently a teacher shortage and private school isn't in our budget presently. Hopefully, things will pan out, but if not there will be some tough decisions to make.
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Margot31 View Post
    See if there is any family Facebook pages for the base you are going to. Maybe those spouses can help you a little more with understanding whats going on down there. Also reach out to militaryonesource that can help with information too about hawaii.
    Thank you Margot31!
  6. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maria37 View Post
    Thank you Buckeye14 for your support and insight! Presently, we have Schofield Army Barracks. When we had the on post housing discussion before, my hubby was adamant about not wanting to live on post. I brought up the cost of living situation and that we may not have a choice this time of I'm not working. I am registered on USAJobs (thank goodness) and hopefully I'll find a position at one of the bases. As far as the schools, there is presently a teacher shortage and private school isn't in our budget presently. Hopefully, things will pan out, but if not there will be some tough decisions to make.
    My additional advice would be to make sure you guys look at the BAH changes coming down so that you guys understand how that might affect any housing decisions. Be patient with USA jobs, it took me about 3 months from applying to getting notification I was selected. Some aren't that long, but don't lose hope if you don't hear back right away. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!

March 7, 2015: I married my best friend!